Eisteddfods/Piano Competitions

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

ymapazagain

Eisteddfods/Piano Competitions

Post by ymapazagain »

Growing up in Australia, every small town with a population of more than a few thousand had the annual eisteddfod where any child who could play a note, dance or speak would be compete. Now I automatically assumed that this would be the same here in England, but the only eisteddfod I can find is THE eisteddfod. The big welsh one that was on telly a few weeks ago.

I would love for my students to have the same opportunity that I had growing up; to perform their pieces in a few different competitions infront of an audience with out TOO much pressure and hopefully win themselves a medal. For me the eisteddfod was so much fun, put a little healthy competitiveness in me and gave me a lot of confidence.

Are their competitions like this in London? I'd love to know about them!

Thanks, Amy :o)
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

I have lived in Australia for years, but I grew up in England (Greater London area) and I played in an Eisteddfod in the early 50's when I was 8.
It was held in Staines.
A very nerve wracking experience. I still shudder when I think of it.
I had practiced and practiced knew my piece (Purcell's hornpipe in E minor) so well that I made the mistake of taking my eyes from the music. Of course when I looked back to the music, I had lost my place. :(
A few bars later I was back in stride, but it did cost me some marks and a lot of embarrasment. :oops:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

They aren't called Eisteddfods outside Wales in Britain - the Welsh would kick up if their words got pinched! We call them Music Festivals...far more straightforward...
I only know of the ones round here (Marlow Music Festival, Maidenhead MF, Slough MF, South Bucks MF (based in Beaconsfield); a new one coming soon just for piano in Aylesbury, Chalfonts MF) but there is an umbrella organisation for MFs - the Federation of MFs? Bit of Googling should run it to ground.
Personally I never had to play in one, thank God. I accompany for them, and never cease to be amazed at how nerveless small children appear to be. Their parents, on the other hand, are usually complete messes!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

The British Federation of Festivals for Music. Wasn't far off, was I?!
www.festivals.demon.co.uk