Yamaha Played to death

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yamaha Played to death

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Visited a client on Friday who has a V114 made in 2000 he has had the piano form new for the last 5.5 years and has managed to brake 7 bass strings wear the key bushing down to the wood put some nice groves in the hammers

However, when I visited on Friday the bass bridge had come completely away for the soundboard Yamahas tec department said this can happen with hard playing what is more remarkable is this was done by a school boy who has now gone on to uni to do music

The moral is if you intend to practise a lot and hard go for the U series

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Preferably a Japanese U-series. The UK built N-suffix models don't have the stamina either.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Or learn to play properly....
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Absolutely; what IS it with teenage boys and the need to karate-chop the keyboard?!
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Being a mere female I can only speculate....but it's probably all that testosterone... :roll: better they hammer a keyboard than people :!:
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Beating the tempo with a concrete left hand will break bass strings all over the place regardless of the maker. Gospel music pianists are able to do this regardless of age or gender.

Tom Tuner
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

'The Wimbledon Poisoner' by Nigel Williams (excellent novel!) features his daughter playing the piano 'like a gorilla on amphetamines'. Makes me smile every time I put a new bass string in for aforementioned 'concrete left-handers'!
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Thank you Gill. I shall look for that one.

Tom Tuner
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Gill,

I quite enjoyed The Wimbledon Poisoner. Very Kingsly Amis-ish (which rates highly with me). Two sentences near the end tickled me, "...the level of his incompetence had reached the stage where it was a definate asset. If he went on like this he was going to end up President of the United States." Now we know how GWB got there!

Tom Tuner
[/i]
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Glad you liked it; it's always a bit of a responsibility recommending a book, isn't it? Now try 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman!
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Thanks for the tip, but it happens that I've read all the 'Diskworld' volumes I can find. The latest was one of the best.
Was there only one edition of David Wainwright's
Broadwood? Amazon.com lists a copy for about US$400 (or more)

Tom Tuner.
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I quite enjoyed The Wimbledon Poisoner.
I loved it - it was given to me just before I went to work abroad for a couple of years and it kept me in touch wiz ze crazy eenglish oomer, n'est pas?

The sequel wasn't quite as good imo but still a good read. Much more interesting than talking about pianos. Oh, hang on :oops:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Tom; Good Omens isn't a Discworld novel, it's a one-off about the end of the world. And surprisingly enough, it's hysterically funny. Well, to a loopy piano tuner, anyway...
Tom Tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Tom Tuner »

Gill,

Once again, thanks for the tip! I had supposed this was one of his "juvenals" featuring Granny Weatherwax. Incidentally, I have Wotzernames Ogg's Cookbook, but I am having trouble obtaining the ingredients for the recepies.

Tom Tuner