WH Barnes / Stahl

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Daisy Dee

WH Barnes / Stahl

Post by Daisy Dee »

I have recently acquired a piano, but I am now moving, and I don't know how to sell it.

STAHL is branded on the front of the paino, as well as WH Barnes. Ltd, 502-504 Oxford St W.1. on the right hand side above the keys. Inside the number 143007 is on the frame.

Does anyone know the approximate age of the piano and history of the maker? I have been googling Stahl, but not finding a lot.

I really have no idea what the best way to sell it is - any info welcome!
Bill Kibby

Stahl

Post by Bill Kibby »

Stahl is one of several names used on pianos which Barnes bought in from anonymous wholesalers. Have a look at the 'Datemarks' and 'Piano Names' links at pianogen.org
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Springs

Re: WH Barnes / Stahl

Post by Springs »

Hi. We have a W. H. BARNES Ltd., D’ALMAINE piano sitting in our hallway in Devon for the last 26 years. It belonged to my mother, father and brother who have all now unfortunately passed away. This piano was bought around 1937? I was born in 1944 in Twickenham and I always remember it being in our front room. Both my brother and myself had piano lessons and passed many grades with The Associated Board of The Royal Schools of Music dating back to the early 1950’s. It brings back such happy memories and now it needs tuning and bringing back to life. Anyone out there have a similar one? By the way, it’s a baby piano having an octave short. Margaret Wray.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: WH Barnes / Stahl

Post by chrisw »

Springs wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 13:27 Hi. We have a W. H. BARNES Ltd., D’ALMAINE piano sitting in our hallway in Devon for the last 26 years. It belonged to my mother, father and brother who have all now unfortunately passed away. This piano was bought around 1937? I was born in 1944 in Twickenham and I always remember it being in our front room. Both my brother and myself had piano lessons and passed many grades with The Associated Board of The Royal Schools of Music dating back to the early 1950’s. It brings back such happy memories and now it needs tuning and bringing back to life. Anyone out there have a similar one? By the way, it’s a baby piano having an octave short. Margaret Wray.
My reference book states that W.H.Barnes did not make their own pianos. It does however indicate that it could have been made by Kemble at around that time.