old unwanted piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

SallyEva
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

old unwanted piano

Post by SallyEva »

I have a Harper piano, straight strung, upright. It can only be tuned a semi-tone low, the pedals are pretty dodgy. On the other hand it has a pretty sound, it can be tuned and keeps its tune well, it has no sticking keys and no moths. My daughter learned to play on this piano which was given to us free. She has turned into a good player and we have bought a better piano.
Is the only thing I can do with this piano to leave it out for the council to take away and smash up? Or is there any more positive future for it?
Sally
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Freecycle it.

Check if the scheme operates in your area.

PG
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

why not put an ad in the local paper....I am sure there would be someone would just love to have it....but stipulate the cost of moving it.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Lots of big supermarkets (like T*sco) have noticeboards at the back with free ads on; all you need put is 'FREE Upright piano, suit beginner, buyer collects'.
And your telephone number, obviously...
There are a lot of free-ad papers, there's 'LOOT', there are shop windows, church noticeboards and parish magazines, tell your neighbours/friends/milkman, tell a piano teacher....just think laterally! It's amazing how, when you've got rid of it, someone will say "If I'd known, I'd have had it...". In fact, if I were a betting woman, I'd put a fiver on it. :lol:
Bill Kibby

Harper

Post by Bill Kibby »

I'm with Pianoguy, check out freecycle.com, it's a wonderful resource, and you could soon have someone knocking on your door to collect it.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Harper

Post by PianoGuy »

Bill Kibby wrote:I'm with Pianoguy, check out freecycle.com, it's a wonderful resource, and you could soon have someone knocking on your door to collect it.
And you usually find that freecyclers are nice people!!

;-)
SallyEva
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

unwanted piano

Post by SallyEva »

Many thanks to everyone who gave me advice about this piano. I freecycled it. It wasn't that easy because the collection cost meant (of course) that it wasn't free or anything like it. But in the end it went to a good home for other children to learn on which is what everyone who has owned it in the past would have wanted.
Bill Kibby

Freecycle

Post by Bill Kibby »

Freecycle don't approve of people charging, that's not what their are about. If they wanted the piano, it was up to them to turn up and collect it.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info