invalid session

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

invalid session

Post by Geminoz »

Could someone please tell me,why I sometimes get the message Invalid Session when I try to post a reply.
:? :cry:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sometimes when you move form one page to the next the SID is not keeping up with you so the forum thinks you are some one else so you get an Invalid Session this happens when the server is very busy the other reason is AOL they send the IP of the cache being browsed and not the proper IP address of the user because this site is popular we are in most AOL caches so as you move form page to page the forum gets a deferent IP address this causes the invalid session.

Also the table may be full of SIDs but if it was you would all get them till I cleared it

I take it you did not reed “Please read before posting” :shock:

For more in-depth expiation see here http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=54

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

invalid session

Post by Geminoz »

Thanks Barrie

Um...I did read the please read before posting when I first joined the site.....my only excuse is a memory that gets worse with age ....sorry.... :oops:
I don't use AOL...it's probably the SID (whatever that is :? ) as I do tend to jump around in here. :roll:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Was any of that in English, Barrie??? Wot did it mean? :shock: Who's Sid? :D Do you do computer masterclasses?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

SID = Session Identification

If you look at the address bar in your browser when you are in the forum you may see some think like this if you are logged in
ww.uk-piano.org/piano/forums/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=c384a161a1f4858fb79eeb348d43def1

the first part
www .uk-piano.org/piano/forums/viewforum.php?f=1 is the URL

The second part &sid=c384a161a1f4858fb79eeb348d43def1 is the SID

The SID is an unique code made up of letters and numbers that is assigned to you for that Session to put it simple this is the Big Brother part of the site keeping track of were you are and what you are doing using the SID to watch were you are going and what you are doing they are there so that the server know who is posting what

If you are not logged in and just reading then you are not given a SID because the board is not interested in you because guest can’t post with out being logged in
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

invalid session

Post by Geminoz »

Hi again
Well, we learn something new every day. At least I wasn't the only one who didn't know who or what SID was.
And by the way while I was posting my previous reply I received the invalid session notification twice...but I discovered if I copiedwhat I had typed and then refreshed the page,and pasted it back in, I was able to post ok. :D
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and I'm off for a lie down in a darkened room...