Painting of unusual Piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Warpsmith

Painting of unusual Piano

Post by Warpsmith »

Hello. I've been trying to find the author of two paintings thats been in my Mother in laws family for a long time, so far the signature has not solved it although there are some possibilities. It would help if I could zero in on the country of origin. There is a unusual Piano with two u-shaped folds along the edges in one of them that I cant find a resemblance to in any online search of historical Pianos. Perhaps someone here might recognize the style and place of origin. Thanks for any help!
David Gunn
Attachments
Pntng1.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Painting of unusual Piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have seen them with square outriggers, generally used for putting tuning tools and stuff like that in. However, if you look at the keys, the artist has either not bothered to copy them properly or it's an unusual keyboard, maybe a quartertone or a piano with flats and sharps.

Square Pianos were very common in the 1700s and 1800s. The name always makes me smile as they are oblong.
You could go to your reference library and ask for both copies of Clinscale. He described in detail all the score Pianos he catalogued, but he did not include photos.

You can try Bill Kibby on Facebook or PM him yes thousands of leaflets and photos but only on British Pianos
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page