Unisons

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

robjkennedy

Unisons

Post by robjkennedy »

Hi All,
Being new to tuning, I'm having issues getting unisions when tuning. Various ETDs say it is on pitch, yet to the ear, they are not. I can get most notes in tune to themself and octaves, but fourths and fifths are all bad.

I know this comes with expereince, hopefully, but for now, almost every string above the bass break I tune, buzzes. See video. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/wBfhpMiQK-k

My tuner came around and fixed that buszzing in 30 seconds. He said it was not in unison. After trying for an hour, I could not do what he did in 30 seconds.

Now, every string I tune buzzes. While they sound and register in tune, they buzz.

Any thoughts on to fix this?
Rob
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unisons

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First of all, electronic tuning devices are not great at putting unisons in. You are better off learning how to do that by ear. The reason is you've got three strings to a note if two of them are in and one is out, the ETD ignores the one that's out.

The video you posted shows the unison is out of tune, some worse than others.

Next year, there are some training sessions in Shrewsbury for people who are learning to tune the piano. The sessions are free, but you must pay for your accommodation. The session is one-to-one for 3-4 hours.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
robjkennedy

Post by robjkennedy »

Hi Barry,

Love to do the course, but I’m in Australia. If they are videoed, I hope they are made available.

The piano tuner has been doing it for 25 years, so he just hears something once and knows what the issue is. Maybe in 25 years I’ll get that good. But at the moment, I just can’t hear how to fix tuning issues. It’s no where as simply as making a mechanical adjustment.

Like a great pianist, it’s in the touch, so it seems. And the ears.

Thanks for the reply.

Best,

Rob
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Unfortunately no, they will not be recorded as they are private one-to-one classes.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page