Slack keys in a Schiedmayer & Shoene model 15

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Amaia

Slack keys in a Schiedmayer & Shoene model 15

Post by Amaia »

Hi, this is the first time I post here.
I have an early 20th century Schiedmayer & Shoene (no serial number, I guess at some point the harp was repainted and they erased it so I can't know exactly how old it is). The keys are loose, they have no weight, and they make noise, very bouncy, I press on the key half way down and it doesn't sound, it only sounds when I step on it hard. The hammers bounce a lot too, make noise when falling and it is very uncomfortable when playing.I find it impossible to nuance, perform pianissimos, make scales, etc. From above I can see that the back-chekcs are very compacted and worn, also the hammer rest, felt (cushion). But I have no idea. The piano was full of dust. I tried to get the machine out, but it's too hard. I'll wait for the technician to do it. I am afraid to break something.

I attach the link to the video I recorded to send it to the tuner-technician (I am from Spain by the way).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-jrGD7Wgzw

What do you think about the piano? Do you think it can survive? From what I've seen there are more Schiedmayers in the UK than in Spain, so hopefully someone can shed some light on what the problem/s can be.
I am an amateur who sits half an hour-45 minutes there, learn 2-3 songs a year and relax, but I would like to have a playable piano too.
Thanks in advance,
Amaia
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Slack keys in a Schiedmayer & Shoene model 15

Post by maxim_tuner »

HI, Amaia
  • It is necessary to regulation 'the action' of grand piano there. Maybe a technician can do something to fix it.
    The fact that 'the hammer' does not hit the string with normal force when you press the key very lightly (pianissimo) is probably due to significant wear on the felt 'the hammer knucle' or bad regulation 'the jack of the wippen' very tight bush of the flange and has other causes too here.

https://youtu.be/NDvS2V7HbnY?si=c12LEiSo3k0MqSNu
regards, Max
Amaia

Post by Amaia »

Thanks a lot!
how nice of you to send me the video in Spanish. I think I've already watched it. I've been trying to educate myself a little bit, but I have zero mechanical skills, its' all Greek to my. Anyway all recommendations and advices I can get will be useful.
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by maxim_tuner »

I glad that it's video woud be your educate
I think that a technician, having removed the action from the piano, will be able to objectively assess the scale of the fixive work there. I would like to believe that him ( her) will not have to replace the parts of the action frand piano, but only remove debris and dust. The technician reinstall yours original details there and would be to need lubricant more ect. there.
Good luck,
regards, Max
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by maxim_tuner »

I glad that it's
  • video woud be your educate
    I think that a technician, having removed the action from the piano, will be able to objectively assess the scale of the fixive work there. I would like to believe that him ( her) will not have to replace the parts of the action frand piano, but only remove debris and dust. The technician reinstall yours original details there and would be to need lubricant more ect
there.
Good luck,
regards, Max