Please help checking this 100s yrs old chappell (London) 85 keys piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Kate25

Please help checking this 100s yrs old chappell (London) 85 keys piano

Post by Kate25 »

Hello, I'm a super beginner and want to start learn playing piano. I find this old chappell (London) 85 keys piano on FB for free. The serial number is 40284, seems been made between 1900 and 1910.
Currently there are 2 keys broken (the first and the last one). I heard that time is not going to add value to piano, and there is also newer free piano, but I really like its vintage style.
I attached a video and some photos, hope to get some advice if it worth to be bring back home? If it's doesn't need to spend too much for repair then I will plan to spend some money for the moving and tuning as well 😊
Thank you so much!

Video: https://youtu.be/O8Uskr0GuZ8?si=8DC4CyrSrjC57olm
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Please help checking this 100s yrs old chappell (London) 85 keys piano

Post by chrisw »

Kate, if you are a beginner you need a piano that can be put into tune. This piano is becoming so old that it may not be capable of being put into tune and the only way to find out is to have it inspected by a piano tuner. I would imagine this to cost say something up to £100.You can also ask them to estimate the cost of doing the repairs. You are likely not to need the very bottom and top notes .
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Please help checking this 100s yrs old chappell (London) 85 keys piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

For pianos of that age, the wood tends to get very brittle in the action; with the two endnotes not working, there's a good chance that the last tech used bits from the ends to repair parts in the middle.

The piano could possibly be tuned at the pitch at that but this all depends on how you're going to learn, and if young children are involved ideally the piano needs to be on concert pitch particularly if you're going to use one of these apps or websites to teach you piano. If you have children under the age of six playing, then you are teaching them the wrong pitch.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page