Neumeyer (London) Baby Grand - Sold at Harrods

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Dlandon

Neumeyer (London) Baby Grand - Sold at Harrods

Post by Dlandon »

Hi,

I have recently acquired a Neumeyer Baby Grand Piano. I know there were several makers that used the Neumeyer name but presume this is Neumeyer London. The Serial no. etched in the sound board is 44586. On the inside of the frame there is a plaque that reads "supplied by Harrods Ltd No. H. 50887" (see photo) which I presume is the serial no. used by Harrods when sold.

I am no expert but it appears in reasonable condition. It does not look that old to me, but it may have been restored at some stage. Any information on the approximate age would be really helpful.

Thanks very much
Attachments
20230814_214327.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Neumeyer (London) Baby Grand - Sold at Harrods

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Sadly Harrods no longer has a piano department; however, if you ring or email customer services and ask them nicely, give them the Harrods serial number, they will tell you when it was sold. Sadly because of data protection, they can't tell you who they sold it to.

Neumeyer did not publish numbers and dates.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Dlandon

Post by Dlandon »

Thank you. I have messaged Harrods. It plays nicely but needs servicing and tuning. I would love to know its age and to get a vague idea of its history and worth. Whatever the case, it will live with me forever now and is a perfect addition to our house and makes a lovely change my Roland electric piano. But knowing a bit about it would be great.

Thanks.
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Dieter »

There was no Neumeyer piano factory in London. Their Neumeyer is a Berlin product.

Fritz Neumeyer F. Neumeyer was born in the Principality of Waldeck in 1837, learned how to make pianos in Arolsen, then worked in Stuttgart, London and Kassel and in 1860 set up his own business in Stettin. From here he moved his factory to Berlin and over the years increased the business to one of the most extensive in the piano industry, including a branch store in London, as the English market was a main customer for his products.

www.dieter-gocht.de
Last edited by Dieter on 22 Aug 2023, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Dlandon

Post by Dlandon »

Thanks so much for the information. Schön zu wissen das sie in Berlin hergestellt wäre. Harrods responded to my request but disappointingly have not given me the information I am after on the basis that their archive is private. Of anyone has any information on the years Neumeyer pianos were sold in London through Harrods or anything more specific relating to the serial numbers, I would be most grateful.

David
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Dieter »

Ergänzung zum Thema Neumeyer-London, siehe Anhang
Attachments
WAB 1890.jpg
Berlin-London.jpg
Dieter
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Dieter »

More information about Neumeyer:
The English market was the main buyer of the Berlin Neumeyer, F. instruments.
The London depot already existed around 1890 and can be traced back to 1903.
In Berlin, bankruptcy proceedings were opened in 1905, and Fritz Neumeyer died in 1906. As a result, the company was deleted by the Commercial Court.
Around 28,000 instruments were manufactured by the end of 1900.
The number 44,586 is unclear, possibly only at the very end of the company.