Have you ever had a broken bass string on your upright piano? Is it possible to reinstall it?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Have you ever had a broken bass string on your upright piano? Is it possible to reinstall it?

Post by maxim_tuner »

https://youtu.be/YXn2IaxgcnQ
  • In this upright piano "Elegy", the bass string broke off (C) the second octave. The break happened on the top (becket) string pin. You could make a loop in the break area and place the string, but then the winding of the string would go beyond and lie on the bass bridge, which is not allowed. Therefore, a decision was made to turn a string over, that is, where there were rings on the top (becket) of the pin, to make a loop, and where there was a loop, to make rings (it turned out to be 1.5) and install it. Max demonstrates that this works. If you have a broken string, it's not a sentence. Try to come up with a solution and install it, even if it's upside-down.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Have you ever had a broken bass string on your upright piano? Is it possible to reinstall it?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That is a bad idea. You run the risk of breaking the hitch pin as you have doubled up on. You are adding twice the tention it was designed for.

You can splice a string or just replace it.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Have you ever had a broken bass string on your upright piano? Is it possible to reinstall it?

Post by maxim_tuner »

Barrie Heaton wrote: 07 Jul 2023, 07:50 That is a bad idea. You run the risk of breaking the hitch pin as you have doubled up on. You are adding twice the tention it was designed for.

You can splice a string or just replace it.

Barrie
  • Let me disagree with you and here's why,
    Where I live and have my practices, there are basicly very poor people who still continue to play the piano after the collapse of the USSR. They don't have the money to buy new bass strings because they just don't sell them here. In addition, these pianos are usually Soviet-made. A chance to find an identical bass is almost 0,
    As for the hitch pin, yes, you are right. Max is at risk there now. But he is guided for himself only by his own knowledge and skills. In all my practice for more than 25 years, not a single bass pinch pin has broken here with a double load. I dare to suggest that the reason is banal - the frames of Soviet pianos( steel plates) are not inferior in power to the armor of the T-34,
    The main message of me clip is only that you need to try to set an identical string, as this is the key to a high-quality timbre in a bass(2-3) choir, I think. To do this, you just need to turn the torned string upside down.
    As for splicing strings, there is one minus. It is not always possible to keep the timbre (color) even after such a high-quality splicing compound string here. But when it is impossible to do otherwise, then Max knits knots on the non-sounding section of the string too.
    Best regards, Max