Yamaha P112

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Bewildered
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha P112

Post by Bewildered »

Dear Barrie, as you know I started totally piano naive and thanks to your advice and help I am still piano naive (haha) but lucky enough to have found a piano i am happy with aided and abetted with your info and the help of a dealer/technician I felt comfortable with. I have bought a Yamaha P112 from Tostevins in Stoke with which I am sure I will be most happy, just wondering about the silent systems which can be fitted (our house has original floor boards throughout!!). What do you think of them ?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The Yamaha silent system is very good if you are getting one with it already there However, in house fitted SS have one big advantage over the retro fitted ones, they use light not moving parts to detect movement of the keys, after time the retro fitted ones suffer form clicking on the pick up arms and as I understand unless this has changed Yamaha will not sell a Yamaha system to be fitted into a piano not even to one of theirs.

There are many other advantages to having a silent system on the piano the MIDI for one, you can connect your piano to a computer

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bewildered
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Bewildered »

Mmmm..? I 'music' for a living, it would be a great advantage to be able to midi the piano to a triton sound module for instance, however I would hate to disadvantage the piano in any way (cos my wife would kill me !! :lol: ).
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you retro fit a SS you would be adding to the pleasure of your piano and please don’t get me wrong having a different system to a Yamaha fitted will only change the set off, the checking and the slap rail which would be changed with a Yamaha system as well However it will add 0.3 of a gram to the touch weight because of the pickups arm the cheapest on the market is the Gabor system and this is the one Elton John has fitted to his studio piano

http://www.uk-piano.org/gabor/

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page