Winter & Co Baby Grand # 93874

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

myrungreen

Post by myrungreen »

Hi, I have recently purchased a mahogany Winter & Co Baby Grand Piano. The owners had this piano in their home for almost 50 years. The Serial # is 93874 engraved on a plate in the center under the movable music holder. It Says New York under the Winter & Co and on the far end has a "K" inside on the metal. The owners said it was dated 1929, although the son of the family insisted that it was 1903. Would anyone know by the serial #? They also said it was the smallest of the baby grands (but I can't remember the name they used to describe it). 52 ivory's. I have photos, and also wondered the actual worth if any one knows. I greatly appreciate your time if responding!
jamie
Bill Kibby

Winter

Post by Bill Kibby »

Yes, the number does SUGGEST 1903, but look on my PianoGen website and read the Numbers page. So much wrong information is published, and a piano can have so many different numbers. 52 ivories means 88 notes, which is normal. As for sizes of grands, there were many daft names, but baby grands under five feet in length were uncommon then. Valuation is impossible without on-the-spot inspection by a tuner-technician.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
myrungreen

Post by myrungreen »

Ok, I will do that. Thank you again for your time