Selling a Fazer Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

KatieCrosley

Selling a Fazer Piano

Post by KatieCrosley »

Hi

I have a 20 year old Fazer piano that I have been trying to sell without any luck. My parents had been keeping it for me until I had enough space to keep it myself but are buying a new (expensive) carpet and do not wish to have the indent of the piano on it. The shop we originally bought the piano from (we are the first owners) have offered to buy it back for &400 but advised that on the open market we could expect to get anything between &700 and &800 for it. It is getting urgent that I find a new home for my piano so my questions are thus.

1) is there a market for 20 year old Fazer pianos
2) would I be better off taking the shops offer
3) is there a way of stopping a piano from leaving indents in a brand new carpet (I would love it if there is)
4) is the Fazer make any good and would I be better off taking the money and putting it in a high interest account for 10 yrs and maybe getting a better piano when I have a place suitable to keep a piano

Thanks for any advice given

Katie
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Fazer are not that bad Harrods sell them as the low end models the 400 from a retailer is about right they probably sell it for 900 to 1200 depending on the condition of the case.

As for a quick sale wrong time of year Summer is the worst time to sell pianos at there top price I would keep one of the big off cuts of new carpet and place the piano on it till September then you piano should sell for the 800+ mark if it is in good nick do you have it for sale on this site.

You may feel that the dealer is ripping you off at 400 but you have to take into account they have to move it, pay a tuner to tune it, possibly get in a polisher to touch it up if the piano stays in the shop for a few months they have to pay for it to be tuned again. Then when they do sell it, they have to pay VAT, pay for delivery and tuning so at the end of the day if they pay you 400 and sell it for 900 they don’t make a lot on it.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
KatieCrosley

Post by KatieCrosley »

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll suggest the carpet thing to my parents however I suspect I will have to sell it regardless. The carpet is costing more than the piano is worth so I can see their point about getting rid of it. It's a nostalgia thing for me as I've had the piano for a long time and although I don't have the time to play it at the moment I intend to start again when my life is less hectic. I'll put the piano on this site and see how it does.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

selling a Frazer piano

Post by Geminoz »

Have you thought of finding a willing friend or relative with whom you could store the piano until you are ready to have a place of your own??
KatieCrosley

Post by KatieCrosley »

yes I've explored that possibility but most of my friends are in the same situation as myself (ex-students trying to secure first home) and my family are either too far away or unable to store it. I have enquired about storage options but although it's inexpensive weekly the company are charging &300 to uplift the piano and with &12 a week storage on top of that it wouldn't be long before it's no longer worth it. This is why i was asking if the make is good as although I've enjoyed playing the piano I've not had much experience playing others and think it's a bit like driving a basic model car. It'll do until you try a luxury model and then you realise what you're missing.