I bought a Piano! Wendl and Lung

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

kathy

I bought a Piano! Wendl and Lung

Post by kathy »

Just thought I'd let you know that yesterday I took the plunge and bought my first piano!

I went to a fantastic shop in Horsham and tried all sorts and after quite a bit of deliberating I purchased a new Wendl Lung for just under &2500.

It sounds (and looks) fantastic - now all I've got to do is be patient - it arrives on Thursday next week.

Thanks everyone for their advice.

Regards

Kathy
pianolad23
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

congrats on ur new wendl kathy

Post by pianolad23 »

Hi Kathy, arent they great pianos, i shall be purchasing one just after xmas, i couldnt believe the quality i think they are better than yamaha, i believe wendl are the new craze of pianos to sweep the UK !! Have fun with it
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Chris Venables is full of praise for them http://www.chrisvenables.co.uk/easysele ... versal.htm

I wonder if the discounters will sell them I would like to see one myself

Enjoy your new piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
2005JG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Wendl and Lung

Post by 2005JG »

Hi,

I have just bought the Wendl and Lung 122 and am waiting for it to be delivered. Anyone got any views on their experiences since they have bought it?

Thanks, John

P.S. Does anyone have a copy of the Chris Venables' review of this piano?
Last edited by 2005JG on 11 Nov 2008, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You will have to ask CV as he has removed the article

Quite a few retailers in the south of England are now stocking them because of there quality for the price I have yet not seen one but the retails and tuners I have spoke to all say they that they are better that the C range of Yamaha pianos for the price
The 122 seems to get a lot of praise
http://www.mildren-pianos.co.uk/wendl-lung.html

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: congrats on ur new wendl kathy

Post by PianoGuy »

pianolad23 wrote:Hi Kathy, arent they great pianos, i shall be purchasing one just after xmas, i couldnt believe the quality i think they are better than yamaha, i believe wendl are the new craze of pianos to sweep the UK !! Have fun with it
Wendl and Lung are excellent pianos for the money, but we're still waiting for your predicted craze. They're also positively not better than Yamaha. I've yet to see the much anticipated Wendl & Lung 9' Concert grand gracing the World's concert platforms...... Unless you know different?

As a cheap Yamaha U1 copy though, they represent superb value for money for those who cannnot afford the real thing, and don't want an old cheap Jap import. Construction is much more lightweight than the U1, and nowhere is this more evident than in the keybed and keyframe which appear to be made from offcuts of thin balsawood with metal reinforcements. This aside, they sound great and are well finished with little of the 'cellulite' effect often exhibited by cheap polyester cases.

I would highly recommend one, but no, they are not Yamahas. Even a C110, the lowliest of the Yamaha range is built better, but won't sound better for the same money, since you can buy a 120cm Wendl & Lung for only a few quid more than the 110 cm Yam.

So as usual, you pays yer money and takes yer choice: An immacculately screwed together compact C110, or a slightly flimsy full size W&L will set you back about the same. Or you could have a very tired 30 year old U1.

The W&L wins in this company by a nose.
2005JG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by 2005JG »

Hi all :D ,

Looking forward to my Wendl and Lung and so will have to tell you allll about it - when it arrives. I’m not so good on the build side of pianos but played a Yamaha C110 and a Wendl 122 side by side and hence: I bought the Wendl. I felt the Yamaha was a step up from a basic keyboard whilst the Wendl suited the hands and ears more.

If Kathy has any more info since she received hers, would be great to hear more! :D

Regards,
John.
andyaeola
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by andyaeola »

Aren't they an old German/Austrian make?

From Pianoguy's build quality comments I'm guessing the name has been bought by a Chinese firm? Are they newish arrivals in the UK?

Andy
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

They're certainly made in China, but the sticker on the underside of the lid states that they're designed under the control of celebrated Austrian Piano designer Peter Veletzky

(who he? Ed)
2005JG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by 2005JG »

Hi.

Received my Wendl about 3 months ago and am extremely please with it. Yamaha was a strong contender for my choice but when I played the Wendl there was no contest. The tone and playability of the Wendl is what first attracted it to me. I had not considered the Austrian brand of Wendl and Lung but reconsidered once I took a demo. I have no queries about the build of the instrument hence the purchase (Chinese built or otherwise!!!!!!!)

It feels good to play, sounds great and looks great.

No query – Id recommend a Wendl to anyone.
Mario Bruneau

Post by Mario Bruneau »

Hi all,

I discovered the fantastic Wendl&Lung piano in the 2006 Frankfurt MusikMesse. I was brought to their booth because of a new invention of a 4th pedal on grand models. I started playing while waiting someone to free up so they can help me and I was completely surprised by its musicality.

Wendl & Lung is a typical European and Vieneese piano makers since 1910. Peter Veletzky is the proud represetative of the fourth generation of the family. When 22, Peter Veletzky was the youngest piano designer in the history of piano making in Vienna.

Today, he has foreseen the opportunity to use the more advance technology of the Chineese piano maker: the Ningbo Hailun Piano Manufacturer. Peter Veletzky saw the great opportunity to utilise this hightech performance to produce the best piano he was dreaming of and to still keep the price down so more musicians can "afford" a good top piano. Wendl&Lung piano is an European - Vienese piano made in China and not the other way around, i.e. Wendl&Lung is NOT a Chineese piano with a German name on it.

I am a piano tuner-technician and use to praise the Yamahas for years (30) and now, I find more Yamahas with lesser quality than 20 years ago and I believe now that the Wendl&Lung piano is far more supperior than the Yamaha.

Wendl&Lung pianos are making a sort of "revolution" in the European piano world and it is comming here in North America.

I wish you all a happy, musical and poetic year 2007...
and a Wendl&Lung piano.
Mario Bruneau
Pianist, composer, piano tuner-technician
www.mariobruneau.com