learn

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

ozy123

learn

Post by ozy123 »

I am a beginner but would like to learn to play the piano. Should I take lessons from a tutor or join a class? Also how does the grading system work? Do u take the exams at a college?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's always best to go to a teacher if you can - working on your own, you can make mistakes which, if not picked up on by a teacher, can make your life difficult later on. For instance, sitting too high/close at the keyboard can give you backache!
If you go to a teacher, they will tell you when you are ready for an exam; there is a book of nine pieces for each grade up to and including grade seven, divided into 3 'lists', A, B and C. (Grade 8 has a wider choice). You choose one from each list to play, then learn scales and arpeggios appropriate to that grade. You also learn to cope with sight-reading and ear tests. On the day of the exam, you go at an appointed time to an appointed place where you play all the pieces and a selection of scales and sight reading to one examiner (sometimes two, if the examiner himself is being evaluated, which sometimes happens. He (or she - mustn't be sexist!) will ask you to do some ear tests for which s/he will play, and then you go off and wait about three weeks for your result. If you do Trinity exam board, there are a few questions about what you've played - naming keys, meaning of Italian terms, etc. I think that's it - I'm sure someone else can tell me if I've missed anything! Good luck! :wink: