Help reading sheet music

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

craig_karges

Help reading sheet music

Post by craig_karges »

Hi people,

I've very recently started learning how to read sheet music, and I'm doing ok.

There is one problem which I've recently encountered. I've come across many pieces which have 3 clefs. A treble and bass clef which have the wavy bracket joining them, and, above them, another treble clef.

How am I supposed to go about playing this? Do I just play every note on all 3 clefs at the same time, as it seems extremely difficult to do so. I thought that maybe I should play the top treble clef individually, and then the bracketed treble and bass clef together afetrwards, but that doesn't sound as it should as I've heard the msuic player before.

Is there a certain way of playing this which I don't know about?

Sorry if it's a silly question, it's just I'm new to reading sheet music.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What sort of music are you reading? Classical piano music generally has just the two staves, but if you're reading pop music arrangements, the two bottom staves are the piano part and the top line on its own is the melody; it's designed for you to howl along as you play! :) It's a standard layout for piano accompanying something else, whether it be a singer or a clarinet or whatever. Have fun!
craig_karges

Post by craig_karges »

Hi Gill,

Thanks so much for your response. Yes, it's pop music. I've only been playing classical before so it seemed a bit strange to me.

Thanks so much for clearing that up, it's very much appreciated!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Excellent.As long as you're sorted! Apologies for the use of the phrase 'pop music', but you're dealing with a woman with a wind-up gramophone here... :roll: !