Hammer not contacting string if adjacent note is pressed

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nstr

Hammer not contacting string if adjacent note is pressed

Post by Nstr »

On a 1900s Bechstein Upright, I have an issue with the action where a hammer is not hitting the strings if the adjacent note to the left already pressed. This is affecting approximately 1 octave range.

Interestingly if the note to the right is down instead, there’s no issue.

Advice would be much appreciated.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KVy3LcAKEi0? ... JTmjr65C7L
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Hammer not contacting string if adjacent note is pressed

Post by maxim_tuner »

The Hammer jamming into adjacent note lifted damper?
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by maxim_tuner »

• When a key is already pressed and held down, and a neighboring key is subsequently pressed, the hammer of the latter key may fail to strike the strings. This issue could be due to 'the damper felt head' of the first key (E flat) fully open, causing 'the damper felt head' of the second key (E) to but not fully. The cause without. Consequently, 'the jack of the wippen' for the second key (E) may not be able to fully engage with the hammer butt. This misalignment can result in the hammer not striking the strings properly.

It is possible that 'the damper felt' of the first key (E flat) is making contact with 'the damper' of the second key (E), leading to the latter's inadequate hammer strike. This unneed contact (rubbing) might have caused the damper to shift slightly to the right or dry out, affecting its movement .

To address this issue, check the independent travel of the dampers for these problematic keys. You can potentially resolve the problem by adjusting the capstan screw of these keys slightly.

regards, Max
Nstr

Post by Nstr »

Thank you for your reply - in better light and a new angle, I have found that you are correct in your first suggestion: the hammer is making contact with the top right corner of the adjacent damper head - photo shows where corners have been rubbed clean by the hammer felts
image.jpg
Last edited by Nstr on 19 Feb 2024, 16:40, edited 4 times in total.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The piano needs a good service and the hammers spacing.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Nstr

Post by Nstr »

No denying it wants some TLC, although for the hammer to miss the damper, it would need to be barely striking the left string and touching the next set along - see photo of one gently aligned with the side of the damper:
50ABE7AB-96A7-4964-B00A-22069985678A.jpeg
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by maxim_tuner »

• Max is glad that we were able to understand and identify the issue with the hammer not contacting the string when an adjacent key is pressed. We hope that the situation will improve soon, and the hammer will interact correctly with the string during play. I dare to assume that you can fix this yourself. Max would greatly appreciate it if you could, once fixed, please take a short video. The thing is, Max has a YouTube playlist titledhttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NI2pRsc_xX A similar repair tutorial would be valuable for many piano owners. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
regards,
Nstr

Post by Nstr »

maxim_tuner wrote: 20 Feb 2024, 06:51
  • Max is glad that we were able to understand and identify the issue with the hammer not contacting the string when an adjacent key is pressed. We hope that the situation will improve soon, and the hammer will interact correctly with the string during play. I dare to assume that you can fix this yourself. Max would greatly appreciate it if you could, once fixed, please take a short video. The thing is, Max has a YouTube playlist titledhttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... NI2pRsc_xX A similar repair tutorial would be valuable for many piano owners. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
regards,
Thank you for your reply.

This problem is leaving me puzzled.

Adjusting the position of the damper block on the wire does not work, as it pushes the damper too far off alignment in order to clear the hammers.

Re-spacing of the hammers does not work as they end up too far off-centre of the strings to clear the dampers.

The hammer felts have developed notches on the back corners where they’ve been striking the damper heads.

Because the issue gradually effects a small range in the lower register, but not across the entire action, it does make me worry that there could have been some damage incurred during its last move that has resulted in a warp or bend along the string-side of the action structure, but I will need to get someone in far more experienced than me if that is the case.

Is it possible that if the hammer butt leathers are considerably worn, the hammer blow height can be lower than intended?
Last edited by Nstr on 20 Feb 2024, 11:53, edited 2 times in total.
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by maxim_tuner »

• Bechstein model 7 postscript: hammers hitting dampers!

https://youtu.be/Nc4YXqDogbE?si=8JprBY8XxNja_-91
Probably many upright piano 'BECHSTEIN' has the design flaw where the hammer is not hitting the strings if the adjacent note to the left already pressed. It's technologic defect ( flaw). I think that this can be eliminated if you try to lower lightly the ENTIRE 'the damper head felt'. Need the regulation it using 'the damper screw and down itself 'the damper head felt' there.
regards,Max
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by maxim_tuner »

• Bechstein model № 4 hammers hitting dampers TOO!

https://youtu.be/cmyjjIHLXwE
  • Bechstein used an unusual hammer felt shape on these pianos. AND if me nees it's solve I would be shaves off the bottom corner of the hammer felt where it’s touching the damper head soon thing .
regards, Max