Unsure which piano tuner to use

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pjuniper
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Unsure which piano tuner to use

Post by pjuniper »

I had my upright piano tuned a while back, and got them to do a bit of regulation at the same time. They did regulation on 3 keys.
The tuning was fine, but the regulation was not. To be fair to the tuner, he said he was more of a tuner than a regulation expert, but he offered to do the regulation anyway so I assumed he was competent to do it.
He left one of the keys with a double bounce and another with a letoff of about 1mm from the string (the others were about 5mm, so I knew something wasn't right). He came back another day and adjusted the 3 keys. 2 then worked better, but one key has remained a problem ever since. When I hold the sustain pedal down, I can barely get a note out of the key, and have to press really quite hard to get any voice. I know he spent some time trying to improve this particular key, and it was certainly left in a worse state than before the piano was touched.

That was my last experience of using a tuner, and I am now quite apprehensive about using one again. The piano needs a retune, and I want the action looked at (it is an upright Renner action from the 1980s), as I am finding it difficult to play pp. I'm not sure whether it's me or the piano (I know uprights are harder to play pp on than a grand), but I do know that in the past I have played other pianos (eg a Bosendorfer grand, brand new in a shop that was magnificent and I had sooo much control) which were much easier to control. On my piano certain keys seem inconsistent with others when trying to play very softly.

I previously used Roberts Pianos in Oxford, who sent me a freelance tuner, and although he did a good job of tuning, I need more expertise on the regulation side.

I am really very wary now, and I don't want the piano messed up any more. What should I do?
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Unsure which piano tuner to use

Post by maxim_tuner »

• I don’t think that the problem of several keys yours upright cannot be solved here on your own. I would advise you to find the difference between 'a good' working key and 'a bad' one there. The solution will be simple. The main thing is to find the difference. Most often these are kinematic work the hammer there. Take a few videos and send them to me by email maxim_tuner@mail.ru,
    I’ll try to tell you what to do.
regards, Max
pjuniper
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by pjuniper »

Thanks for the advice Max, but given that a skilled piano tuner is finding it difficult, I'm sure I wouldn't have the skill to do it, plus I don't have the time at the moment.
maxim_tuner
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by maxim_tuner »

'trying is not torture'
Sometimes even an experienced the piano technician can ignore obvious things there. Perhaps you could fix it yourself. But if you don’t have time, then it’s your right and your choice,
Good luck,