Shipping a piano overseas

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

ishepherd

Shipping a piano overseas

Post by ishepherd »

Hello,

I'm a son of Sue Shepherd, a piano teacher in Coventry who passed away a few months ago. I would like to keep her Bechstein upright for sentimental reasons. But I'm in Australia.

Has anyone shipped a piano by sea and would like to recommend (or not!) the service they used?

I see there is a list here https://www.piano-tuners.org/category/piano-removals/, all else fails I can call names at random, but personal stories would be reassuring. I'm quite nervous about it!

Thanks!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shipping a piano overseas

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Your best bet is Piano Logistics or G&R for overseas shipping they have the experience.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ishepherd

Post by ishepherd »

Thanks Barrie, appreciate it!

Sounds like I should have confidence in Griffin Transport (G&R Removals were restructured https://gandrremovals.co.uk/) - They want £330 for collection and delivery to their warehouse and will inspect the ivory and wood while there.

If ivory or rare woods are found, permits for shipping that seem super difficult/expensive, so I will have to abandon the plan. Then I will need to find someone somewhere to take it :( I don't think it's that valuable. possibly a dealer would take it for cheap/free, I don't know
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you're selling the piano in the UK and it's got ivoris and it's pre-1975s, then you need to register it, which is £20.

Shipping to the AU with ivorys is a different ballgame however, the workaround would be to have the Ivory removed. And replace it with plastic. Sacrilege in my mind but these things you have to do if you want it.

As to the rare wood at the moment there is only South American rosewood on the UK list and again if the Pianos pre-1975 it's not a problem in the UK yu just need to register it as for AU pass, AU has some of the strictest rules where Wood is concerned.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
ishepherd

Post by ishepherd »

Thanks again Barrie.

I have found its tuner who can hopefully help me make a final decision.

Given the cost and various risks I may well end up spending the same money on a newer piano here in Aus, and the old one can go to auction. It is a shame to lose the memories but might be the best decision.
ishepherd

Post by ishepherd »

Just closing this out. I have reluctantly decided to let the estate piano go to auction and buy new.

Some points made by the tuner just noting down:

The piano is in OK playable condition and can stay in tune fairly well. It has had a restring at some point in its long life.

"Pianos age like cars (just more slowly)", an old piano is going to need progressively more work as it ages, and will at some point be uneconomic. It's guesswork as to when that point will be.

So it's overall a lot of guessing: How well it will survive the trip; How much work it will need; How the climate will affect it; How long it has left before uneconomic to repair

Pianos like this one, (reputed German make, 1900 ish) are very likely an ivory keyboard. We were unable to inspect it to confirm but he is 90% confident.

For export, ivory is not a blocker just a hassle. The frame number inside (serial number) allows to prove that it long predates the ivory ban and is allowable to transport. But it must be confirmed and CITES permits are required at both source and destination.

If completely leaving sentiment out of it, he would not even recommend it be moved within the UK, never mind around the world.