Any harm on pianos when not tuned????

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chowy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Any harm on pianos when not tuned????

Post by chowy »

Hi,

It's been a while since I last posted.

I purchased a brand new Yamaha U3S back in Feb 2004 and although I got a free tune voucher, I never used it.

I was told to let the piano settle in it's new location for a month before getting it tuned.

Unfortunately, we are hoping to move house but have not sold our home as yet. Will it be a waste of time to tune the piano now or wait until we move house, when ever that may be, hopefully soon?

Will it do any harm to the piano, not to be tuned, bearing in mind that it is a new piano Feb gone?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First of all you will find that you have lost your free tuning most companies insist you have it done with in 3 months

As to harm Yes you could be new pianos need to be tuned 4 times in their first year all manufactures state this. There is good reason your piano has 21 tones of strain on the frame and about 2 tones pressing down on the sound board Yamaha tune their pianos to factory pitch 10 cents sharp of A440 this is to allow for the drop most tuners who prep pianos in shops don’t pull them down (if they have any sense) in the shop they let them fall as pianos can and do stay on some shop floors for a year or so However, since your piano is a silent one it will have not been there long so it will be up above pitch since we have had a very wet summer your piano will have been taking in quite a lot of moisture so the pitch may have gone up more than 15 cent this can harm your bass strings and is not too great for the sound board so get it tuned ASP On the other hand the tuner may have pulled it down and the piano may have dropped below pitch.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chowy
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chowy »

Thanks for that Barrie

I will get it tuned ASAP!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

...and of COURSE you should get it tuned regularly; we piano tuners have to eat, you know! :D Not that I'm biased...