Chas. Foulds piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Chas. Foulds piano

Post by lizzyG »

Hi i have a CHAS.FOULDS piano the serial number is N7797, it has the candle stick holders on the frount. I was hoping you could tell me a bit about it.

many thanks Liz
Bill Kibby

Re: CHAS.FOULDS

Post by Bill Kibby »

In 2005, I wrote to Foulds, James Foulds replied "I have some incomplete sales records going back to 1929 but nothing earlier I'm afraid."

It is not possible to date the piano by just the name, they were in business for many years. Can you post some photos here, or email them to me? No dates of serial numbers are available for this name. Sconces (projecting candle-holders) suggest the twenties or earlier.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: Chas. Foulds piano

Post by lizzyG »

Thanks for your quick reply. I am no expert but im trying to post 4 pictures for you.
trying to add 4 pictures
trying to add 4 pictures
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

Only one attachment is allowed so here is the second one.
Attachments
second picture.
second picture.
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

Third picture for you.
Attachments
piano 3.jpg
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

ok last one. i hope these help you as id love to know.

Many thanks liz x
Attachments
piano 4.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

You have had more success than I have at posting pictures here! If you read the second item in this list of postings, it will tell you all I can say from the outside of the piano. The last picture shows the trusses that support the keyboard. The best guess is around 1910.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Please upload some photos of the inside of the piano
:)
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

I have took 6 photos of the inside. i hope these help.
Attachments
piano 5.jpg
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

Two of 6 photos
Attachments
piano 6.jpg
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

Three of six.
Attachments
piano 7.jpg
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

Four of six.
Attachments
piano 8.jpg
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

Five of six.
Attachments
piano 9.jpg
lizzyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by lizzyG »

Six of six. The back is not solid wood its soft like a fine black net.
Attachments
piano 10.jpg
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Your first photo shows the underneath pedals mentioned in my 1910 description. This thin pressed-metal covering was available to the trade in 1904, and Danemann, London, was one maker using them in 1904. The next two show that the action is probably a cheap German import, a type sometimes known as a "Costa Action", with overdampers. It may be marked on the rear with the action makers' name and number, and I may be able to date this, but it is risky to try to remove the action yourself, it will be quite fragile. The 4th photo shows the wooden top bridge. The 5th photo shows the screwed-on headbar attached to the iron frame, to make it appear that Foulds was the maker, although he probably was not.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

As Bill says.... this is the notorious 'Caged Costa Action" - or commonly called a "Spring & Loop action" (the springs are called Costa springs) If the springs work OK and the loops are still in tact, the piano should play OK.... but regrettably if a spring's hook/coil or threaded loop breaks, depending on the size of the spring either 48mm or 51mm, the springs are now mostly obsolete and have to be hand made. Making a new loop is also a tricky little job. I would leave the action alone, because if you remove it, all the weight of the jacks & undercarriages will be supported only by those springs (to stop the action collapsing).... and then a big job ahead if they break! These actions were then followed by the more reliable (easier to replace) "tape action".

I viewed a Spring & Loop last weekend.... regrettably it was beyond economical repair (kept in a brick out-house), most of the loops had broken, hammers seized and the overdampered rail had warped badly, thus the notes didnt stop playing.... and continued sustaining long after I walked away!! The lady however still insisted it could be tuned!!!

They are "tuneable" if the strings are not badly rusted & the action must be working, but like most of these pianos, they will never see concert pitch again.... but a droning one whole tone flat. Lured of course by the sconces, fancy panelling & pedals etc.... these pianos are now mostly un-tunable, like the one I saw last week, but if we are just thinking of the odd piano performance of some well-known tunes, an ideal instrument for that.... still have character though!

Have you had it tuned yet? ......mmmmm
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

I feel I should point out that these pianos were manufactured to be capable of coming up to modern pitch, it is the neglect that can result in low pitch, and many similar pianos that I have tuned regularly for years do not have this problem. Unfortunately, many are not financially worth the cost of a tuning.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.