Schimmel Uprights

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

James Wilkinson

Schimmel Uprights

Post by James Wilkinson »

Good Evening

Would anybody be able to confirm if new Schimmel upright pianos use a Renner action? I have been given conflicting on this matter.

Any information would be very much appreciated

Many thanks

James.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

All of the ones I have tuned have had Renner actions in however; I have not tuned any of their entry-level pianos, which may have a cheaper action in to keep costs down

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
James Wilkinson

New Schimmel vs Old Steinway

Many thanks for your reply.

Following on from there do you think there would be any merit in buying a recently restored 1910 Steinway upright over a new Schimmel 116 for approximately the same price. Would I be right in saying that I will largely be paying just to have "Steinway" written on my piano? The reason I ask is because I have tried the Schimmel and was very impressed, however, I would need to travel some distance to try a couple of Steinways. I also need to consider how well the instruments will hold their tune in a centrally heated house.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

James.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First off the Stineways soundboard is nearly 100 years old what will it be like in 10 20 years time, Stineways used the duel hammer / damper flange on piano of that age, if the piano is in a dry environment they can and do split see if they have been changed for new ones

The 1900 – 30 Stineway uprights do restore very well if done correct but a lot depends on the soundboard but in the main you are paying for the name .

Schimmels are very nice pianos once they settle in, they are quite stable pianos tuning wise and new pianos are made with central heating in mind. However, if you cook the piano no matter what makes it is it will develop problems.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
James Wilkinson

Schimmel

Many thanks Barrie,

It makes more sense to me in every respect to go for the Schimmel really, I guess it would have just been rather nice to have a Steinway!

Thanks again