How long do Piano Strings Last?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

slater

How long do Piano Strings Last?

Post by slater »

Hi,
I have a John Brinsmead & Sons upright piano that is about 100 years old - serial no. in the 52300's. It was reconditioned about 32 years ago when my family purchased it - then used by my brother and sister to learn on.

I now want to prepare it so my children can learn on it. It is straight strung (but 'modern mechanism')and the technician who recently moved it for me said that he can tune and repair some keys (broken springs) fairly easily so it can used. However he wanted to only tune it to itself (not A440)as he said there could be some string breakage (perhaps not surprising)as it's about a tone out. (I've checked with my guitar tuner and it appears to be only half that!)

The outside of the piano, the keys and the iron/steel frame inside appear to be in very good condition - would you consider tuning it upto A440 as being worthwhile? I think it might be better to help develop our kids musical ear.

Also when would you consider restringing a piano? I can see from mine that 3 or 4 strings have been replaced in the past but thats all.

Many thanks.
Aussie Brinsmead
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First off all pulling a piano up a tone is no big deal you soon find out if it will come up and you may lose some strings but it is a judgment call the tuner at the piano is the person to make that call and he/she may feel that it is not going to make it for many reasons, seeing that strings have been change in the past will put most tuners off

As to restrung a piano of that age in the UK I would say No unless the pianos is of great sentimental value as the cost of restring would be greater that the cost of replacement

Having the piano at the correct pitch is important for your children

You could ask the tuner to have a go see if it will come up with the understanding that string may go or it may not hold the tuning

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You could ask the tuner to tackle the pitch raise in two goes rather than one big one; sometimes the piano responds better this way. I raised the pitch on a Brinsmead of exactly the same type and age as the one you describe, but only broke one treble string. They're a lot tougher than most people think. I remember - vaguely - the story of a big piano factory doing a stress test on 100 year old strings vs new ones. And to their astonishment, the new string gave out first. Could be apochryphal, but I like to think it isn't! :)
Mike_Hendry
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

piano strings and raising to pitch

Post by Mike_Hendry »

Just offering my $2 worth on this one.
Yes, the piano should come up to pitch but there are ways and means of doing it that ensure some success.
Note that, in raising a standard sized upright from a semi-tone flat to A-440 the Tuner is increasing the overall tension on the plate by approximately 2 tons, and the pressure on the soundingboard by anywhere from 100-300 lbs depending on scaling,etc.

The pianos will NOT go up a semi tone and HOLD pitch in one tuning (regardless of whether or not strings are breaking) so I normally recommend at least a chip tuning (in which the prime objective is to get a constancy of tension across the soundboard) and then 2-4 days later, a normal tuning to A-440. This should be followed up with a tuning 3-6 months later and another one 9 months after that.
It will be 18 months before the piano is what I would call 'stable' at pitch, meaning, able to hold A-440 for more or less a year.

Even some very good tuners are reluctant to raise older pianos to pitch, but if the soundboard looks okay, concede that you will lose a few strings along the way.
Good luck.
slater

Piano Strings - Old Brinsmead

Post by slater »

Thank all for the replies, I think we'll try it in two goes and see what happens.

Also are you aware of any common faults that an old Brinsmead might have that should be repaired if possible?

Thanks
:D
Geoff Slater
Aussie Brinsmead
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

They have funny little loops on some of the upright actions instead of bridle tapes, and these can break with age. They're a fiddle to do, but not impossible. If only one or two go then do them as and when they break, but if there's a few it might be worth having the lot done.That said, they can go for ever without breaking - I tune three or four old Brinsmead uprights, and of those only one had that problem, and that was only on 2 notes. :) On the other hand you might have the ordinary tape check action in which case you've no more problems than any other piano owner!
Mike_Hendry
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Brinsmead's

Post by Mike_Hendry »

.... to which I would add Gill, most of the Brinsmead's prior to 1900 seemed to have cedar shanks (that's the little 4" dowel that connects the hammer to the hammer butt)and at this age they can get very brittle and snap easily.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Brinsmeads

Post by Geminoz »

My Brinsmead and Sons Piano has a couple of tapes that need replacing.....will have it done at next tune...but I have a question....when the tapes are broken or about to break what does that mean in terms of playing the piano...mine seems to be playing reasonably well despite the tapes....and I wouldn't have known they needed replacing if the tuner hadn't mentioned it....I am not good with parts of things either piano or cars or anything else...
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The primary function of tapes is to hold the bottom section of the action in place when you take the action out of the piano. On over damper actions with no butt spring it also can assist the hammer back to the rest poison if the action has a Half Blow

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Geminoz - if you DO need a bit of help with the hammers returning before the tuner's next visit, I've shown a couple of clients how to get themselves out of trouble by substituting a bit of strong thread for the tape; a length of thread about 6" long (I don't do foreign measurements, sorry) in a slip knot, lasso the balance hammer and tie it to the tape wire. Easy! It'll keep things going until you see your tuner again, anyway... :) Gill x
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Brinsmead

Post by Geminoz »

Thank you Barrie and Gill....once again I am getting better informed because you so generously share your knowledge. :D
To date the hammers are returning ok by themselves and my next tune is not too far off so hopefully the tapes will last, but if I strike a problem I will certainly follow your advice.