Restore Ronisch or buy 30yr old U1

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

working_dogs

Post by working_dogs »

Afternoon All,

I'm getting an idea about how much I DON'T know about pianos from this highly informative site !

I have an 1870-90 upright Ronisch still holding concert pitch. It has underdampers, but has overs on C# and D below middle C. It's suffering some ringing on and my technician has advised he can work on this in stages. 1st - new dampers & springs ($Au400ish), 2nd - restringing ($1300ish). No guarantees that this will fix the problem, tho.

Dilemma is 2-fold... Ronisch is an heirloom and I'm not able to trade it in/sell it. AND, I can buy an ex-conservatorium 30yr old Yamaha U1 (Walnut) for $Au2000.

I'm really torn as to whether to put $2000 into the Ronisch (I seem to remember her sounding much better than she does now), or to buy the U1. My son and I are close to outgrowing the Ronisch in her current condition, but would like to believe the life can be put back into her.

After much reading, I don't think Yamaha's pre-1975 problems with climactic conditions apply as this piano was made for the Australian market. I've been told it's been tuned yearly and serviced regularly by Yamaha, but might need new dampers.

Oh, for someone else to make the decision for me !!!
Any advices would be most valuable... being a student and mum doesn't leave much room for expensive errors of judement !

Thanx in anticipation ,
w_d
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

New hammers and string works wonders on most pianos of that age however, what you have to remember is the soundboard it is getting pass its sell by sate I normally advise my clients to go for the newer piano except where the piano is of sentimental vale then I will restore the piano but with warnings

I would check with Yamaha to see if that U1 was destine for AU as you have some very extreme swings of climate in some parts of your country

Barrie,
Last edited by Barrie Heaton on 17 Oct 2004, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
working_dogs

Post by working_dogs »

Thanx Barrie,

Value your advice...

I'll get onto my technician to pin down more details on the fix. I know the U1 was bought by the Con in Tasmania (where I am), and having moved from the North Coast, am getting a handle on climate swings in this country !

Can you explain if there's some way to determine whether the soundboard is the problem (specifically, causing the ringing-on) ? If that's the cause and there's no fix, I'll get the U1. Fortunately I have room for 2 pianos !

Thanx again,
w_d
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The ringing on is nothing to do with the sound board it’s the dampers the springs could be too weak or the felts have gone hard or just not seated well

As to the age of the sound board that affect the over all tone of the piano the place to loo is the treble break and the bass brake the tend to go first plus a lack of sustain

Your Tec should advise you if the piano is worth doing up I would get a few tuners in to give you quotes on the job

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Your Ronisch was made in the Golden Age of piano production when pianomakers didn't have one eye on the clock and the other on the cash register, and top quality materials were used.
The Conservatoire piano, whilst much younger, has probably had a far harder life with professional-level musicians thrashing it all the way along the keyboard, rather than just in the middle like the average domestic piano, for five hours a day five days a week. Your Ronisch might even have been played less overall. :shock:
As you may have gathered, I'm rather fond of old instruments. You can't budget for sentiment - and I speak as one who has spent more on her Morris Minor than it'll ever be worth! :roll: As long as the serious bits of the piano are sound then there's no reason why you shouldn't go for the rebuild, but only you can make the final decision. Good luck, whatever you do! :wink:
Mike_Hendry
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Ronisch upright

Post by Mike_Hendry »

Traditionalist though I am, if your Ronisch is 1870 its starting to get a little long in the tooth. But, I doubt its that old since you say its an under-damper action piano with over-dampers in the bass. So, would think it more likely 1890's. The Pierce Piano Atlas is reasonably accurate with Ronisch numbers, so your tuner should be able to date it via the serial number.

As for the problem with the ringing on. I'd agree with the assessment so far that the damper felts have hardened (Northern Tasmania could mean coastal, which means more salt and moisture in the air and this would have a detrimental effect eventually). Typical solution is re-felt the damper heads (and do the tails while the dampers are off) and I would most definitely recommend a set of graduated damper springs as well. That should fix the problem.

Re-stringing is always a plus for a piano of this age, but the existing strings are not the cause of the ringing on.

cheers
Mike Hendry
Melbourne
working_dogs

Post by working_dogs »

I'd really like to thank everyone for their advices and stories. Gill, I can truly relate to the Morris Minor analogy - '63 Mini 850 owner myself ! :lol:

You wouldn't read about it, but my tech dropped in completely out of the blue yesterday - how fortuitous! He suggested the exact solution Mike offerred to the cause of the problem that Barrie picked out. Her bits go to hospital Wednesday, back Saturday. And, agreeing again, he dated her closer to the late 1800's. It appears there's only ever been just 2 overdampers, but the bass used to have flydampers (long removed) as well as the exsisting underdampers. And although the dampers on the bass look new, they should have been larger dampers and/or stronger springs (apparently). She was re-strung in 1980 (when our tech was 92, and carried actions where the back seat of his mini used to be!) So thankfully, I shouldn't have to have this done for some time yet as the quote for pins and strings was too close to $2K for comfort. Most interestingly, Mike - although not on the coast now, we lived there for 8yrs until January and the problem has become noticeably worse since then - perhaps that eventual detrimental effect you spole of..? Y'all most definately know your stuff :!:

I'm probably overly excited about starting the restoration process, but I thank you all for helping me with it. I'll definately be posting again to advise of the outcome...

Best Regards,

w_d
Mike_Hendry
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Ronisch

Post by Mike_Hendry »

happy to be of service in some way. It really is a routine fix, but should always be qualified against the age of the piano. Contrary to popular belief, these instruments were not made to last forever, and the builders themselves would be amazed to find that the caseine and animal glues they used were still holding firm 100 years later.

The Australian climate poses numerous challenges to any piano (new or old), but the huge variation in climatic conditions, and worse the sudden variation from extreme heat to cold (such as we have to put up with in Melbourne) can play a significant role in a piano's durability or stability tuning-wise.

Glad to hear your Ronisch is on the mend, I think you'll find it satisfactory.

cheers