1874 Grotrian, Hellerich, Schulz Th.Steinweg Nacht

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jeffo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

1874 Grotrian, Hellerich, Schulz Th.Steinweg Nacht

Post by jeffo »

I have an 1874 Grotrian, Hellerich, Schulz Th. Steinweg Nacht, 6'8 grand piano. We had our Tuner come out a few weeks ago and he told us that the piano will not hold the tuning anymore. We asked him if it was time to get rid of this piano and buy a new one. He said no " This piano is well worth rebuilding" I recently recieved a price to rebuild the piano from a reputable rebuilder. I have prices to rebuild it including a new sound board or fixing the old one. This piano is currently played everyday by my wife and daughter so I am looking to end up with a beautiful instrument whether I rebuild this one or buy a newer one. Does anyone have any experience with this piano and is it really worth rebuilding or for the price of rebuilding it should I just go out and purchase a newer grand.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you mean a Grotian Steinweg then yes, they are worth rebuilding however, with a piano of that age you will need a new soundboard and a full action rebuild so of the cases on the old Grotian Steinweg are exquisite and would be very expensive today

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jeffo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jeffo »

It is an old Grotrian-Steinweg. It has Braunschweig underneath all the names.
jeffo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jeffo »

My Wife and I have decided to go for the full rebuild. Can't wait to get the piano back in the fall.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jeffo wrote:My Wife and I have decided to go for the full rebuild. Can't wait to get the piano back in the fall.
Come back and tell us how it turned out

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jeffo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jeffo »

Barrie Heaton wrote:Come back and tell us how it turned out
We went up to see the Piano a week ago and took some pictures of it in it's different stages of rebuild. I am working on getting them online and will post a link to them soon.
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi,

there's a marvellous piece on a website called Magellan's Log about somebody who had a Grotrian Steinweg piano restored. It is a real feelgood piece, I recommend you check it out:

http://www.texaschapbookpress.com/magel ... llade1.htm

cheers,

Steve.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

That is one impressive looking piano are you pleased with the results

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Steve071261
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Steve071261 »

Hi,

sadly its not my piano. I'm looking for a Grotrian for myself, and a web search pulled up this piece, which I thought was just a great piece of writing for anybody who loves pianos. I thought the previous poster, who is also having a Grotrian restored in the US, might find it interesting.

Anybody with a Grotrian grand for sale in the UK, say 20-50 years old, over 5' in size, I'm still looking...

regards,

Steve.
jeffo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jeffo »

Thanks for that link. That was a good read about that restoration.
jeffo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jeffo »

Here is the start of the photos documenting the rebuild of Grotrian-Steinweg #2513.

click here for Piano photos
jeffo
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Almost Done!

Post by jeffo »

Here is the latest update. I saw the paino Tuesday this week and it is about 95% done and we are supposed to recieve it back next week!! The Rebuilder gave me a memory stick with 41 pictures that he took of the process and I have added them to my picture folder if anyone would care to look. The Piano looks great and we can't wait to have it back in our house making Music.
1874 Grotrian, Helfferich, Schulz, Th. Steinweg Nacht Chambre Grand
click here for my Piano Rebuild pictures, updated 9/8/04
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Grotrian Steinweg

Post by Geminoz »

What a magnificent instrument....I am droooling :? Thank you for sharing the restoration progress and pics with us. :D
Joffrey

Post by Joffrey »

We have recently restored a Th. Steinweg Nachfolger as well.

As you can see from the first pic the soundboard was in dire need of hefty repairs. (as with all Grotrian Steinweg instruments in my experience) Still, when we just got the instrument, the tone was already beautiful. Now it's even more beautiful.

What I noticed about the action of the piano was that it has extremely light toucher, even with new hammers fitted. I had to completely disengage the springs in the action and now it is still easy the lightest instrument we have in the showroom. How are your experiences with these old grands?

pics:

http://www.henkhupkes.nl/common/instrum ... weg185.php

BTW. It is for sale, so if anybody is interested feel free to drop a line... :wink:

Joff
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If you live in the EEC you can advertise your piano on this part of our site
http://www.uk-piano.org/pianos-for-sale-trade/index.php

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page