Help on New Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Phil_Waite

Help on New Piano

Post by Phil_Waite »

I recently purchased a Winchester 123T Upright piano and since I bought it I'm having some problems. When the pedal is held down, and a note is played more than once so that the hammer strikes a string which is already sounding, a horrible 'twang' sound occurs quite often, which makes some passages sound very messy. Also, there are some notes which are different to the other keys in tone, and are quite harsh when struck, which are very obvious when I play pieces.

Do you know what is causing these problems, and how they could be fixed?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help on New Piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Second one is voicing sounds too bright

the first could be bad spacing it it manly in the bass

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Phil_Waite

Post by Phil_Waite »

Yes, the first problem occurs most severely on the notes below the A above middle C. Is there anything that can be done about it?
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

Get a tech to check the regulation, tune it and tone it so that it is even. Should solve the problems.
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Phil_Waite wrote:Yes, the first problem occurs most severely on the notes below the A above middle C. Is there anything that can be done about it?
Yip as sussexpianos says get a tuner in to solve the problems. If you got if from a shop get them to sort it, I take it was new if so the shop should short it at their expense

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
joan frazier

Post by joan frazier »

Hi I am a new here. I am also curious where could I find great suggestions regarding what piano to buy for me and for my niece. She loves playing piano? :piano; hope you could help me.. thanks. :)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

How old is she? Can you play already? How much do you want to spend? New or second hand?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
crispin
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by crispin »

I disagree with the comment tuning and toning/voicing will solve this problem.. well I agree with the tuning part... but I had a similar problem and found that the bad sounding tone was produced by the unisons going out of tune.... so retuning it should sort out this problem.

I had a bad experience with this toning/voicing since an expert came and claimed that all the problems could be solved by 'toning' (ie needling the hammer heads)... and proceeded to do a voicing. It is true that the harshness of those particular notes disappeared when he had finished - however the result was also that the 'touch' of the piano was now very uneven. After a month of playing the touch recovered somewhat and the harsh sounding tone reappeared (he had done a very poor job of tuning) .... the situation was improved when the piano was eventually correctly tuned.

So be very cautious with this toning/voicing! As my regular tuner advised that voicing should be done only when all else fails.... and I tend to agree with him - get an good tuner to tune it first.