Eavestaff miniroyal?

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Genevieve Cox

Eavestaff miniroyal?

Post by Genevieve Cox »

I have an Eavestaff minipiano. I think it might be a royal? When you open the top to play, to the right there is gold lettering that says: As used by HRH Princess Ingrid of Sweden and As used by TRH Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret Rose of York. Hardman Peck & Co New York. On the back of the piano to the right the serial number? 132425 and to the left, burned into the wood: P897. On the inside panel, written into the black iron, are the patent numbers and dates: 4-30-35 and 7-31-34. Is this a miniroyal? I did have an apprasol done a few months ago, but no one in the area I live in knew anything about Eavestaff or had a clue about how to tell if its a royal. It has a beautiful walnut finish, all the parts are original;the bridges, plate, string etc. all in good condition. The tuning pins are a bit loose and 3 keys are slightly chipped at the ends, besides that its been a great piano to have. I wish I knew more about it.
Bill Kibby

Eavestaff / Hardman Peck

Post by Bill Kibby »

I'm not sure what you mean about it being "a royal". Hardman Peck made minipianos under license to Eavestaffs, and the ones I've seen are slightly different to the London ones. Let's be clear that the reference to royalty appeared on all Eavestaff pianos for a very long period, and doesn't mean anything about that individual piano. In 1940, Eavestaff brought out a model called "Miniroyal", different to the later versions, designed to appear outwardly like the original back-action minis, but with a more conventional interior design, drop action, and double- leverage keys, patent number 486,060.

I can quote for printing a general booklet on Eavestaff through my website, but I have very little about Hardman Peck.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info