Haüsmann piano 13372

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

PhilCrompton

Haüsmann piano 13372

Post by PhilCrompton »

I wonder if anyone could give me an idea of the age of a piano we have just brought over from my mother-in-laws. I'd also be interested to hear anything about the makers.

My wife's grandmother bought piano second hand around 1943. The name Haüsmann appears above the keyboard. Inside the piano the number 13372 is stamped into the wood with the word London is cast onto the metal frame. I tilted the action forward and can just make out the word Brooks.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Phil
Bill Kibby

Hausman

Post by Bill Kibby »

Is it Gebruder Hausmann? They were around in the early 1900s, but it is a puzzle: If the frame says "London" Hausman is probably an alias put onto a London piano. Brooks made actions pre-1920. Does "London" belong to "Brooks" on the frame, or is "Brooks" on the action itself? See

http://pianogen.org/names.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PhilCrompton

Post by PhilCrompton »

The "London" is cast into a frame which runs across the top just underneath the lid. Not the main black frame shaped like a harp. (I must apologise as I don't know the proper names for all these parts.)

"Brooks" is stamped on a horizonal piece of wood in the action assembly frame. You can't see it unless you tilt the action forward, or take it out.

I have also looked at the lower A key and it has the initials "L L" written in pencil on the under side but no date. There is a number stamped on the top of the key though. I think it is "6086" or possibly "G086".

It doesn't look that expensive as the cabinet is made of made of fairly cheap looking wood covered by a walnut veneer.

Thanks again.

Phil Crompton
Bill Kibby

Hausman

Post by Bill Kibby »

It sounds like what we call a three-quarter iron frame, which doesn't reach to the top of the piano. The separate headbar being marked just "London" without a name is strange! These headbars were often used to add names to pianos bought in from London wholesalers. Brooks actions are not usually found in foreign pianos. If it was Herrburger Brooks, that would be from 1920 onwards, but a Brooks action may well have Brooks keys as well, and may be marked on side of the TOP key. Have you looked at the iron frame below keyboard?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
PhilCrompton

Post by PhilCrompton »

Bill,

Thank you for your speedy replies. Well I decided to take the action completely out on my way to looking at the top key and discovered three new clues!

1. The top key is marked "Wicking & Chivers" but no date.
2. The bar with the felt which moves up when the left pedal is pressed has the number 536 stamped in the wood.
3. And, most exciting, the Brooks logo was partially obscured by a metal plate. I removed this and behind it was the rest of the logo. The full wording is Brooks Limited and beneath this "No. C8901".

Does this help at least date the action?

Thanks again for all your help.

Phil Crompton
Bill Kibby

Hausman

Post by Bill Kibby »

The numbers don't help, but Brooks & Co. became Brooks Ltd. around 1891, and became Herrburger Brooks in 1920, so your piano is between those dates. Wicking & Chivers made keys in London around that time, and the piano was almost certainly made in London. I have no record of a London maker or dealer called Hausman, but some lists are in towns, so to find it, I would have to go through over a million entries when, in all probability, it is an alias. I can quote for printing historical notes on the two firms.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.