Dunmo Ellis & Hill piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

patuca

Dunmo Ellis & Hill piano

Post by patuca »

Hello, my wife and I recently purchased a home and much to our surprise, the sellers left behind an upright piano amongst some other things. I'm posting here hoping to find out some information about the piano, well, basically some history if possible. It has a label saying the maker is "Dunmo Ellis and Hill" of London. I have no idea how old it is. when i asked the sellers how they got it, they said it was brought to the states with family many years ago. that is all we know. any help would be appreciated! Thank you all in advance!
Bill Kibby

Dunmo, Ellis & Hill

Post by Bill Kibby »

Is there an address? DE&H seem to have appeared at Canal Road London N around 1890, and in 1893-4 they moved to Shrubland Road NE. I'll see what else I can find, but datemarks are probably your best bet. See that heading on my website...
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
patuca

Post by patuca »

thx for the reply! i'm unable to find any datemarks or related info on the piano itself. actually, i'm not exactly sure where to look. the name of dunmo, ellis and hill is...stenciled/painted on the inside of the cover over the keys. also, i noticed another engraving today above the keys, however it is very very hard to make out. i believe it says "manufactured for W. Battrum or Bartrum" and a town name i believe of helensburgh???.....something..burgh. i just can't seem to make it out. anything you could find out for us, or any contacts, would be great!!!! thx again!
Bill Kibby

Dunmo / Bartrum

Post by Bill Kibby »

It seems so rude to use the phrase "are you sure?" but if it definitely says "manufactured FOR" this implies that DE&H made it for Bartrum, whereas I would expect the opposite, since they were thought to be just dealers. I'll have a look round, but if you would like to press email, photos would help.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
patuca

Post by patuca »

hello again! sorry i haven't responded for some time. slight mix up with my internet provider....long story.

anyway....not rude at all! i'm not sure and cannot make out the writing on the piano. i'll take a picture or two of it...maybe that will help. thx again!
patuca

Post by patuca »

quick update....my wife just went out to check the piano. she reads it as "manufactured for W. Battrum". her eyes are better than mine....prettier also. lol. thx again.
Bill Kibby

Battrum

Post by Bill Kibby »

W. Battrum appeared as a delaer somewhere between 1900-1911 at 13, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, Dumbartonshire, Scotland. He was there up to the Second World War, but gone by 1951.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.