Hobart M Cable 242841

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

~Faith~

Hobart M Cable 242841

Post by ~Faith~ »

Hello,
I've just inherited a small upright Hobart M Cable. The brass plate inside gives the number 242841. There is another number on the wood beside it: 247 and below that, 86.

Any idea of the age of this piano?

Also, although all the keys play, there is an odd 'fuzzy' vibrating sound to it, however, just looking into it, we can see no cracks or obvious damage and the felts seem to be in place, although it all looks rather dusty ... Any idea if the sound signifies a major, terminal problem?

Thanks,
~Faith~ :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

age c1908

As to the odd sound that could be anything form a lose push rod to a buzzing belly bar, hard to say with out seeing the piano.

Get it tuned

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
~Faith~

Thanks!

Post by ~Faith~ »

Wow, thanks for the quick reply ...

We're trying to decide whether or not the piano is worth moving 1400 miles to our new home ... :?: I think your advice about contacting a tuner in our area to actually check it out is good, we will do that. But, just out of curiosity, does either a 'loose push rod' or a 'buzzing belly board' signify a terribly expensive problem? or one that would signify the demise of the piano? :cry:

thanks again,
~Faith~
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Lose rods is nothing however. lose belly bars is fatal in the case of an upright the cost of fixing them not to say it is any of them – the cost of moving could be more than the pairs worth I would defiantly get a tuning in first

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page