Chappell & Co "New Style" piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

ChaosEnvy

Post by ChaosEnvy »

My wife and I have inherited a piano from out great grandmother. We live in the United States. The piano was sent by plane from Bournemouth a few decades ago. The Name plate under the key cover is brass I believe and reads Chappell London. Above the keys the following is written in a gold tone.
Sold by Geo. Garlick Stratford-on A - the rest is worn off. Behind the cover panel it is like a metal harp. Behind the wires is the inside of the back cover which reads Chappell & Co. New Style.
On the left side top, under the cover is the number
11109 Thank you, I appreciate the help, sorry about the length. David & Wendy
ChaosEnvy

More on the piano

Post by ChaosEnvy »

The piano is an upright I believe that is what it is called.

the top front has three bevelled squares in it and on each side of the keyboard there is a pillar with a brass candle holder attached.

Thought maybe this would help.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

Don't apologise for being wordy, the more information, the more we can help! Chappells used the phrase "New Style" on many pianos in the late 1800s, but although the published serial numbers suggest that it was made in 1872, I have experienced problems with these early numbers, and no archives are available. I'll see what I can find on Garlick, he may give us clues.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

George Garlick

Post by Bill Kibby »

George Garlick was based in the heart of Shakespeare territory - Straford-on-Avon. The earliest list I have for that area is 1886, and he is already listed among the Pianoforte Makers & Warehouses, probably just a retailer, at 45 Wood Street. In the early 1900s, Charles R. Garlick (presumably his son) took over the business at the saem address.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
ChaosEnvy

More info

Post by ChaosEnvy »

Thanks for the information so far. Please let me know what else you find out.

I removed the bottom front panel and the number 259 is stamped on it. On the brass harp near the top, is Chappell and Co LTD is casted in it. Also on the bottom in the wood Chappell and Co is stamped or burned there.

Where else should I look for information for you.
I know this piano is heavy as heck.

Thanks again
ChaosEnvy

Don't know if relevent.

Post by ChaosEnvy »

I also have the original seat/stool that cam with the piano, it has a tilt out three slot drawer in it.
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

If a picture paints a thousand words...
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.