Winter piano

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

jso

Winter piano

Post by jso »

I have an upright piano with 44 keys with a stamp of "winter" behind the strings on the steel plate that runs most of its lenghth. Does any one have information on this maker or kind of piano?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There are a few makes of Winter pianos

Winter France Est 1880
Winter & Co Owned by Aeolian Memphis USA
Winter Canada

What part of the world do you live in and do you have the Serial number

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jso

info on "winter" piano

Post by jso »

I do not have access to the piano now. But what I can tell you is that it has 44 keys. It is in a small square case 44 inches high 23 inches wide (front to back) about 45 inches side to side. It was made (according to a tuner that saw it ) around 1940. This email is from the United States.

Thank you for any information

Johanna
Bill Kibby

Winter

Post by Bill Kibby »

I have very little contact with american pianos, and very little is published about Winter. Photos would be interesting, but I wouldn't attempt a full report on a US piano.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: info on "winter" piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jso wrote:I do not have access to the piano now. But what I can tell you is that it has 44 keys. It is in a small square case 44 inches high 23 inches wide (front to back) about 45 inches side to side. It was made (according to a tuner that saw it ) around 1940. This email is from the United States.

Thank you for any information

Johanna
The information above would describe many pianos
Winter & Co by Aeolian Published some information including some S numbers Can you not contact your tuner and ask what he/she based their dating on, it
may have been the information published by Pierce

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
jso

Winter piano

Post by jso »

Thank you all for your responses. It was helpful in learning a bit more about my once owned piano.

As I do not own the piano as of yesterday the only thing i have is a photograph. If anyone is interested in seeing it I can post a picture. Otherwise once again thank you all for your help.

Johanna

ps. could someone give me the url for the pianogen site. just interested in seeing what that is all about.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Winter piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

jso wrote:
ps. could someone give me the url for the pianogen site. just interested in seeing what that is all about.

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-gen/index.html

or click on the history link to the left all the histroy page on the site are listed there

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Winter

Post by Bill Kibby »

As was said before, I have no experience of Winter pianos, but it would be interesting to see photos, and I may be able to tell you as little from them. Just click on "Email", or search for "pianogen".
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Winter - 44 keys?

Post by Bill Kibby »

When you say there are 44 keys, do you mean 44 white keys? How many are there altogether? Or how many black notes?
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.