Talk to me about Humidification!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Talk to me about Humidification!

Post by abc1337 »

OK,
I'm researching getting a piano - and am interested in the above aspect of its care. Specifically I'd like the participants here to advise me of:
What type of meter I'd need?
What type of humidifier I'd need, not specifically one that needs to fit in the Piano, either?
Are any of you aware of an Air-con unit that also can deal with humidification issues?

Thanks,

Andy
Learning, but really enjoying!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First you need to look at the room to see if you need a humidifier what is the swing and what is it at present

it is better to control the room but that can cost I have a client who spent 7k to keep the room at 45% and 65F all year round

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

The room will go from quite warm to bloody hot w/out some form of air-con...The house is a 2000 built modern 4 bed detached - we don't suffer from condensation on windows or anything like that...
sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by sussexpianos »

the type and age of the piano will be helpful as it makes a diffiference. If its a modern type piano then Id recommend an auto climate system like Damp-chaser. Id like these fitted to all pianos as it will protect the woods in the long term but they are expensive in the UK( in the states they are half the price but the wrong voltage).
If the piano is an older model then get a room humidifier( just place it next to the piano) with a selctable dial and have it around 55-65% RH. The Germans like to use room humidifiers for pianos. I have a customer with one for his 1920's JB upright and it keeps it in tune wonderfuly.
Last edited by sussexpianos on 09 Jan 2008, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

To answer some questions - my piano will be new, and there will also be an air-con unit with adjustable humidifier in use as well.

Any specific humidifiers you suggest?
david g
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by david g »

abc1337, did you see the recent thread on recommendations for a humidifer?

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/piano5089.html
abc1337
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by abc1337 »

Thanks, david - I've replied with a link on the other thread.