5000 to spend and no clue where to start!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

pd

5000 to spend and no clue where to start!

Post by pd »

I have just started to learn the piano and am lucky enough to have 5000 to spend but I am getting so confused with what piano to buy :!: So far, I have been recommended the Yamaha su118, the schimmel 116t or an eisenberg but I really don't have enough knowledge to choose. - any help gratefully received.
sirprize
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by sirprize »

From what you say you're looking for an upright? First decide on the HEIGHT and generally buy the tallest (131+ cm) you can afford

New.....

at around £4500 or less you can buy a Brodmann 131 which is not a well-known marque YET in the UK but they are stunning for the price http://www.brodmann-pianos.at/upright_piano_1320.html

The Reid-Sohn SU131 is also excellent for around £3500 (I have one myself) as is the Kemble 131 at just short of £5000

Then there are the ubiquitous Yamaha U3s, U5s, Kawai K6 and pianos like the Petrof 131 all of which you should get for £5000 or less

Used......

The field is wide open and it's down to luck. Full-height, premium-name, under 20 years old, one-owner/mint condition pianos at around £5000 are like gold-dust and find buyers very quickly. But occasional gems make an appearance and stick around for special reasons - this year I've tried a 1992 Schimmel 130T for £4500 and a brand new Pleyel 131 for around £5000. Or you could go the 'vintage route': for instance buy a 1920s Steinway K at auction for £1500 and spend a few thousand on it

If you decide on a shorter piano the choice is even more difficult as there are more pianos of 126cm and below

Good luck!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

sirprize wrote: at around £4500 or less you can buy a Brodmann 131 which is not a well-known marque YET in the UK but they are stunning for the price
Well under 4K for a 131 I think!

:)
Piano Worker
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: 5000 to spend and no clue where to start!

Post by Piano Worker »

pd wrote:I have just started to learn the piano and am lucky enough to have 5000 to spend but I am getting so confused with what piano to buy :!: So far, I have been recommended the Yamaha su118, the schimmel 116t or an eisenberg but I really don't have enough knowledge to choose. - any help gratefully received.
Try the Kemble K131 you will pick this up for less than 5000. :D
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: 5000 to spend and no clue where to start!

Post by PianoGuy »

Piano Worker wrote:
Try the Kemble K131 you will pick this up for less than 5000. :D
A cracking piano. A Yamaha U3 with decent casework!

Eisenbergs are the cheap wing of Wilh.Steinberg. Both brands have a long way to go to catch up with a Yamaha or Kemble 131, but the Eisenberg has no chance.
superquark
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Kawai K3

Post by superquark »

With this budget I would consider the Kawai K3 - a brand new model from a very good manufacturer. It has a great sound, very responsive action, and now comes with the Kawai 10-year guarantee (5 years parts and labour and another 5 years parts only) - an excellent piano, and great value for money at £4k.

It is a little smaller than a couple of the other suggestions here (the K3 has a height of 122), but has a very powerful and rich tone. Its worth considering where the piano will be sited in the house. Very large uprights give a very large sound, but if you are putting the piano in a small room then you don't want too big a sound. Someone I know is selling a nearly new U3 in super condition because after 15 minutes of playing it his ears are ringing - small room, huge sound - not ideal.