Aucher Freres

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They were one of the first piano manufactures in France to make a pianos with a folding keyboard (ships piano ) serial number 10.517 would place the piano at c 1905 not 1848 the company was established in 1845 I would try one of the French museums

There are five piano museums in France four in Paris and one in Lyon the big one is the Musee instrumental de Conservatoire tip: if you do email them translate it in to French

Barire,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Bill Kibby

Aucher

Post by Bill Kibby »

I'm sorry, I wouldn't want to fall out with you, but this is something about which I am absolutely certain, and I've checked and re-checked: Barrie is definitely not spelt like that!!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Bill Kibby

Aucher Ship's Pianos

Post by Bill Kibby »

...And since you mention the term, you must be able to offer me a proper, concise definition of the term "Ship's Piano"? Although Yacht Pianos are made small, with folding keyboards, ships can have any kind of piano they want!
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You mean the spelling in Pierce of “Aucher Freres” on page 24 is wrong! bouncybunny was asking about a Aucher Freres upright or are we looking at something else.

Yes you are correct a “Yacht Pianos” would be more accurate term. However, pianos with a foldaway keyboards are often called ships pianos! around 1845 they did not have the spare space to fit a piano like they do today.
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page