Playing piano, with or without your watch on??

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

Mark Heller
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Playing piano, with or without your watch on??

Post by Mark Heller »

Had a bit of an odd experience last night - my left wrist was aching (too much Rach Op.23/5!) so I took my watch off.

I couldn't believe the difference playing my pieces afterwards - my left arm felt like it was half the weight, and so agile around the keyboard (felt a bit like that old trick of pushing outwards with your arms against the door frame for 30 seconds, then letting go...)

Admittedly, my watch is quite a heavy one, but I was still astounded by the difference in feel!

I just wondered if anyone else had had any similar experiences (e.g. with bracelets etc.) and what people's thoughts were on the desirability of playing with/without jewellery?

Mark
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

" The player or student, whether male or female, should throw aside all impediments to the feee use of the arms, wrists and fingers. Why should we not have a mode or style of dress for using at the instrument? We have bathing habits, riding habits, organ shoes and walking dresses. Why not a pianoforte dress or habit, more especially for the fair sex?....how can a young lady perform a delicate piece like some of Chopin's with their cat's paw touches with eight ounce of metal on her wrists in the way of bracelets?....In the male sex, the casting off the coat is all that is necessary, although the abominable habit of wearing three or more rings of massive proportions on the fingers of the young men of the period is, besides being a breach of good taste, a serious hindrance to the fingers. I would counsel men and maidens to take off their rings while playing."

Hints and Maxims for Players on the Pianoforte, Harmonium, etc.
A.L. Gregor (Porteous Bros., Glasgow; 1883)
Descombes
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Descombes »

I take my watch off to practise, though it never causes problems when I perform with it on. I never wear rings, but I notice that some pianists seem to manage. It seems to me that they must get in the way!

By coincidence a girl I was teaching this morning was wearing a ring on her 2nd finger. She made a bit of a mess of some of her Gr 7 scales, then realised that she had her ring on and took it off. As a result her scales improved.

Another problem area: long nails. A dreadful hindrance, in my opinions, but my views are not shared by some teenage girls. A few years ago I would have commented; these days it seems less acceptable to mention a detail of personal appearance. Anyone got any views?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I have been known to wear 17 rings...
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Well, I have never really been much of a long nail fan, maybe its because I was always on an art course and so didn't want, paint, clay, paper, glue up my nails! :shock:

The first thing I did 8 months ago when I go out my keyboard to get back learning the piano again was cut my nails, It just seemed like the right thing to do. I can't see how people could play well with them, you need to ablity to feel your way around, and you would slip off the keys if you have long nails. The only problem is I find it difficult to pick small objects up like pins.
dave brum wrote:my teacher never castigates me for having long nails as I've already bitten them right down to the cuticles anyway!!

:shock: :shock: Dave, should I buy you a manicure set for Christmas? what colour do you want pink? :lol:
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

You didn't notice them because they are short! :wink: Ahh thanks Dave I do wanna try my best to get good and I'm dead serious, I have been waiting to learn the piano since I was 17.

Another mark of a serious pianist is, I must get off here and get praticing!
Now where is my Hanon and John Thomson books?..

p.s I will see you tomorrow with some good news I hope!
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Aah, the nails - don't remind me! Mine seem to grow at a phenominal rate now that I actually want to keep them short. When I was trying to keep them looking longish (flying in the face of looking after a small child and a large garden), they never seemed to grow at all.

My next lesson is tomorrow and the emery board cometh.

I haven't got the watch problem, sleeping late is an unlikely luxury around here and staring at a computer for most of my working day means there's a clock to watch right in front of me. My watch hasn't seen the light of day for a long time (at least, I think it's a long time, can't tell without knowing the time). It's probably got a very bat flattery by now.

Love the extended quote, Gill! I only wear one, sometimes two, rings so I consider my impediments duly thrown aside. The only reason I still play like I do is down to pure inability :wink:

Jan
xx
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

My excuse is that weight-lifting strengthens the fingers...:D
Katmid
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Katmid »

Gill the Piano wrote:My excuse is that weight-lifting strengthens the fingers...:D
LOL! Nicely done, Gill!
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

:lol: :lol: Has anybody seen that funny gadget aimed at pianists to make their fingers stronger? Or is there anybody on here with one? :lol:

Its like this thing you grip, and you place your fingers these little buttons and they have resistance so you build up finger strength.

I saw an add for it in pianist magazine and it made me laugh! It reminds me of those other keep fit gadgets you use to get strong grip.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I prefer my method. You start with small diamonds and work your way up to stonkers...:D
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Gill the Piano wrote:I prefer my method. You start with small diamonds and work your way up to stonkers...:D
Yeah! and its more sophisticated whereas the other method is just a gimmick :wink: . Hey Gill I bet you're a fan of QVC and Gems tv ! :lol:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I haven't got any sparklies on my piano - apart from 3 purple glass candleholders and a Victorian glass doorknob.
And Moonlight; I deeply resent you plying my postie with drink and discovering all my secrets! :D
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Ah Ha ! next time I'm watching QVC I will look out for the name Gill when someone phones them, to say how much they loved the ring they bought :wink:

Got any Tanzanite? :lol:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Ho yes, one ring. My faves are diamonds (which just happens to be my birthstone - excellent planning on my parents' part), amethysts and aquamarines. And Alexandrite. O yes, and moonstone. But I'll accept anything...:D
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

I don't have a Tanzanite :( wouldn't mind one though, I do have an Alexandrite Its fascinating how it changes colour when you go outside.
Actually all these pretty gems are my mum's but she will let me inherit them.

I wish I did have some extra money to chuck at diamonds and stuff; but the first thing I want to buy when I get a job again is an upright, you will be pleased to hear! I can't stay with my Clavinova forever! :twisted:
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Attagirl; if it came to a choice between all my jewellery (I have more than Ratners ever did) and my piano, it'd havce to be the piano! :D
Moonlight
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Moonlight »

Yeah, if you did prefer jewellery then you might not be posting on this site, but would be on the UK Jewellery Forum! :wink: