buying and learning on a digital piano

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

wilton-cox

buying and learning on a digital piano

Post by wilton-cox »

I am considering buying a digital piano to learn to play. I have looked at the Roland HP series which is exactly like a piano with pedals etc, and the Yamaha DGX 620, a new model which has lots that I can use to help me learn.
I am 60 and have not learnt an instrument or learnt to read music before. Is my age or lack of experience going to be a problem?
Has anyone any advice, or any experience of these?
Michael
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I realise that, as a man, you are easily seduced by bells and whistles on things, but have you considered getting a real piano? You'll get a far better idea of touch and tone- production.
As an adult beginner, you'll need application and PATIENCE. And don't be too hard on yourself...no, it won't sound like what you hear on the wireless, and it ain't going to for a while...but don't get discouraged and despondent. Just keep plugging away. Whilst you won't pick it up as quickly as a kid, you'll have the intellect to know that, if you apply yourself, you will get there in the end. Good luck!
TonyG
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by TonyG »

Gill the Piano wrote:I realise that, as a man, you are easily seduced by bells and whistles on things, but have you considered getting a real piano? You'll get a far better idea of touch and tone- production.
As an adult beginner, you'll need application and PATIENCE. And don't be too hard on yourself...no, it won't sound like what you hear on the wireless, and it ain't going to for a while...but don't get discouraged and despondent. Just keep plugging away. Whilst you won't pick it up as quickly as a kid, you'll have the intellect to know that, if you apply yourself, you will get there in the end. Good luck!
Hear, hear! (or is it here here!) A touch sensitive, progressively weighted digital for you my good man. 6 hours a day of Burgmuller Studies, Arpeggios and Scales!!

But if electronic organs were still all the fashion in the Northern Hemisphere, - would you still be asking over a piano, or an organ? If you would be leaning towards an organ then probably, in all fairness, a keyboard would be more fun for you. Yamaha DGX, Casio WK3700 - all great fun. For complete beginners don't dismiss a 'keylighter' either. You'll never play the Bosendorfer at the Ritz or wherever, but you'll get very fast results and a lot of personal fulfilment. After all, making music, (by almost any means) is a higher form of activity.

But there again - I'm only a 'newbie' here :roll:

(wilton-cox - just got it!)