The craft of piano playing

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

joca_hdj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

The craft of piano playing

Post by joca_hdj »

Dear Fellow Pianist,

In 2003 Scarecrow Press published The Craft of Piano Playing, by Canadian pianist Alan Fraser. His new approach to piano technique links the structure and function of the hand to the qualities of phrase and sonority the piano can produce, in a totally new way. The book proved popular, but many readers expressed the desire for a video that would better communicate these potent, original and effective ideas about piano technique.

This dream has now been realized. The video version of The Craft of Piano Playing is due for release October 1, 2006, in DVD format. The film is in English, and the chapters and sub-chapters of its menus in four languages (English, French, German and Serbian) allow exceptionally easy navigation to any point in the film, making it a highly effective pedagogical tool.

This video is a "must have" for any music library and in fact, for any pianist. Its insights into the hand's innate capacities of movement and organization offer a breakthrough to pianists at all levels from beginning to professional. Teachers can use these ideas to empower their own students, developing a new dimension in their whole relationship to the piano and piano teaching.

If you would like to be notified of The Craft of Piano Playing's release, please reply to this email. Your name and address will be put on our advance order list, and the moment the DVD is available, you will be able to complete your purchase.

Pianistically yours,

Jovan Hadji-Djurich,
Marketing Director,
Maple Grove Music Productions
joca_hdj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by joca_hdj »

I study with alan fraser so,
if you have any questions,just mail me at jocahdj@gmail.com
joca_hdj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by joca_hdj »

ok,i think i have to give more detals so you can get more familiar with this,
so,
i have studied with Alan Fraser for 3 years and it has been really transformational. it is a very interesting question, what makes his teaching so diferent, and not an easy question to answer, especially in few words. i guess it is mostly his understanding of the physical proces. many pianists avoid the physical, and just let their hands express their musical ideas.
they fear a focus on the physical will make their playing mechanical and lacking in personality. but with prof. Fraser it's the opposite. he guides the hand and shows you how to use its structure in a way that gives me more power and a real sense of control, a tone that is richer and a facility that is simply more capable. thus i can play with more expression. and in the book and film he has managed to transfer at least some of this onto the page or the video screen. so i think it is worth a little investigation. i did sign my first post "Marketing Director," and we are trying to sell the DVD, but for me personally it is not only about earning money, it is about sharing something that is really exciting and really valuable. i wouldn't be doing this kind of marketing for any other product,
I'm a pianist for god's sake, but we need to spread the word on this one. we were actually going to make maple grove a non-profit organization dedicated to making these materials available to more pianists, but here in serbia it is just to complicated to set it up
joca_hdj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by joca_hdj »

Hi again,
i set up a new forum for all of you who would like to talk about "The craft of piano method"

http://www.atfreeforum.com/pianoforum/

See you there!!!