Dummy Mummy

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

gclef

Dummy Mummy

Post by gclef »

Hello,

My daughter is 6 and started on the piano 8 months ago. She's very self-motivated and progressing fast finishing Bastien Level 1 quite proficiently. Her teacher has asked for my permission to accelerate her teaching speed.

I don't know how to play the piano to start with. I could follow her lessons for the 1st 6 months but now I sit like a dummy when she practices. She knows I'm lost and doesn't quite want to listen to me anymore when I occasionally points out some mistakes that I could spot when she plays. Well, sometimes she was right and I was wrong :oops: .

I wonder how I'm going to help her as she progresses. I used to be able to count the beat along when she plays but that was just 1-2-3-4. Now, there are quarter, eighth and all kinds of notes mixed up and whew! ...

I'm a busy home-maker and won't have the time to learn the piano to help her. Can someone advise me if it's OK I just sit beside her when she practices? Sometimes I sing the lyrics of the piece (if there's any) just to feel involved :wink: . How else can I help her other than making sure she practices?
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

You can genuinely enjoy her progress and praise her efforts. :D
Does she mind you sitting beside her while she plays??
I would have pushed my Mum off the stool if she'd done that to me. :twisted:
Enjoy her and her efforts.
gclef

Post by gclef »

She likes to show off to me what she can do and sometimes imagine she's the teacher and starts teaching me how to play. I'd love to eventually let her do all the practices independently and listen to her play at non-practice time. I think it's a healthier learning way for her and I can do my work while she practices.

I hope she'll push me off the chair someday soon. She has a great piano teacher and I feel very safe not to have to check on her practices (as if I can :lol: ). I have a few friends who sit with their kids when their kids practises and because they know how to play the piano, there were many battles. I guess innocence is bliss for me.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I actually liked the fact that my mum couldn't play - she was gratifyingly impressed with what I played but never interfered by telling me how it should be played...because she didn't know!
I often find that the kids of musicians don't play because of the interference from their parents. As you say, ignorance can be bliss! Just give her support and encouragement and make sure she does her practice! :wink:
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Same here gill...My mum thought I was brilliant...she was usually in the kitchen listening while I played.
But if your daughter likes you there gclef ...that's great too.....you can take advantage of her eagerness to show you and learn to play as well.....and you'd be getting your lessons free :wink: well apart from paying for hers, of course.
Sounds like you are both in for some fun and rewarding times...enjoy it.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Oh...and one more thing.....your subject title is a contradiction in terms :wink:
SteveHopwood

Post by SteveHopwood »

From the point of view of a teacher, I love mums like you - the interested, caring ones.

The thing to do with your little one is whatever makes her most comfortable and you most happy. If she wants you sitting with her during practise, then do it. If not, then leave her to it.

Don't worry about her making mistakes and getting things wrong. Kids do this all the time. I only correct mistakes\misreadings in lessons when there is a good teaching reason to do so. Pulling kids up for every little error merely turns the lesson into a moan session.

Doing the same in her practise sessions would do the same to them, so your comparative ignorance is actually quite a good thing :P You will serve her interests best by being supportive, encouraging, loving and helpful when that is what she wants.

Hope this helps

Steve :D
Piano teacher for over 30 years.
Piano accompanist and teacher.
D Minor
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by D Minor »

SteveHopwood wrote:From the point of view of a teacher, I love mums like you - the interested, caring ones.

The thing to do with your little one is whatever makes her most comfortable and you most happy. If she wants you sitting with her during practise, then do it. If not, then leave her to it.

Don't worry about her making mistakes and getting things wrong. Kids do this all the time. I only correct mistakes\misreadings in lessons when there is a good teaching reason to do so. Pulling kids up for every little error merely turns the lesson into a moan session.

Doing the same in her practise sessions would do the same to them, so your comparative ignorance is actually quite a good thing :P You will serve her interests best by being supportive, encouraging, loving and helpful when that is what she wants.

Hope this helps

Steve :D
Sorry to butt in on this thread.

Just waving to Steve.Nice to see you here...:)

Mother of Dionysus ( sort of )!!!!
SteveHopwood

Post by SteveHopwood »

D Minor wrote:
SteveHopwood wrote:From the point Sorry to butt in on this thread.

Just waving to Steve.Nice to see you here...:)

Mother of Dionysus ( sort of )!!!!
Ehup, D minor :D :D :D
Piano teacher for over 30 years.
Piano accompanist and teacher.