Learning the piano at 57 now 65 Help

Questions on learning to play the piano, and piano music.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano

elisabethj

Learning the piano at 57 now 65 Help

Post by elisabethj »

[Is anyone out there ready to offer advice to me I did post a message as adult learner and only got one very helpful reply I can post more info if anyone is interested. Feel like giving up [/b]HELP :( :(
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What did you say on your original post? I can't find it! (Not very good at technology...ask Barrie! :roll: )
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

You need glasses Gill??? :wink: the original post is four down from this one (adult learner) ...hahahaha and you already answered it. :lol:
Elisabeth.....Never...Never.....Never give up.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:What did you say on your original post? I can't find it! (Not very good at technology...ask Barrie! :roll: )
You replied to him :)

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano-forums/vi ... ight=#9874

IF you need to find out what some has posted just click their profile at the bottom of their post and in the profile click on list all post

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Shut up picking on me, you lot...I can't help my technallergy... :P
Just stick to it, Elisabeth. It's not going to be easy, but nothing worthwhile is! Keep clocking in here - there will always be someone around to give you a pep talk. Or take the mickey out of you, in my case. :roll: :wink:
SteveHopwood

Post by SteveHopwood »

My general advice to people like you is always the same:
find a good, enthusiastic, sympathetic and experienced teacher; maintain a repertoire of pieces you can play easily; be patient with yourself - nothing comes easy; look back regularly on what you have achieved.

This last point is a biggie. When learning an instrument, learners are always playing to the forefront of their ability, so things are always difficult.

Casting your minds back to where you were a few months ago always makes you feel better.

The repertoire is important, too. The most successful non-pro adults I teach\have taught all keep a repertoire of 6-10 pieces going that they can play easily. They start their practise by playing through them. They gain confidence as well as warming up from doing this. As they learn new favourites, they drop an old one they no longer wish to play.

Steve :D
Piano teacher for over 30 years.
Piano accompanist and teacher.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

I couldn't agree more about the repertoire Steve.
I now have arthritis in my wrist and fingers which makes playing some pieces difficult.
Rather than bash my head (or fingers) against the proverbial brick wall, castigating myself for no longer being able to play pieces that were a breeze 40 years ago, I have looked for less complicated arrangements of pieces I had never learned to play.
I now have a lovely repertoire (well I like them....HE can please himself or plug his ears :roll: ) of about 12 pieces that my fingers will play, and I try to learn a new one each few weeks.
Some days my wrist will only hold out for about 6-8 pieces, but it's better than not playing at all. :D
jackg
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by jackg »

I started piano lessons about 3 years ago (age 41), had never played any instrument previously. I could not read music and had no idea about its structure. My teacher is enormously patient and forgiving, I am amazed. On her advice I bought the AB guide to music theory by Eric Taylor and the corresponding practice books, grades 1,2 & 3. I started playing on a Kemble Mini Minx and only this Feruary did I buy one for myself. The piano tuner tuner gave me a list of manufacturers to look out for, I bought a Chappell upright from 1930. I see my teacher every fortnight for 30 mins. I try to practice for at least 30 mins each day hopefully longer. I passed grade 1 in about 18 months and grade two in another 15. now onto grade three. The greatest difficulties that I have is sight reading and melody, both of which benefit from practice. It can be a slog at times, but TV is rubbish, so its not too bad as I can see progress even if it is slow and ponderous.
Butterfingers

Ancient Learner

Post by Butterfingers »

I think the idea of playing your easy repetoire every day is a great one. I am 60 and have been playing for three years. I have passed Grade 5 (just, as I am pretty useless) but the only music I can play with any real confidence is Grade 2! It is all worth it when I am playing for myself late at night. Just go for it. And good luck!
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Passing grade V at 60 makes you far from useless! It's so much more difficult for adults to learn than kids. !!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

When we get to our age butterfingers, playing for enjoyment is what it's all about.
I have found that my "easy repertoire" depends on what I actually want to play.
If I really desperately want to play a particular piece that is a little beyond my arthritic fingers, then I just improvise a little....(come up with my own arrangment, leaving out a few bothersome notes here and there.)
Because unless you are playng a score that is exactly how the composer wrote it, then you are in effect playing someone's arrangement of the original score.
So there is no harm in coming up with your own "arrangement" if it makes your playing more enjoyable for you, and most people wouldn't be able to tell. But since I don't play for anyone but me no one even hears it. :wink:
KateP

keep going!

Post by KateP »

My life changed when I came out of he cupboard and started playing with other people! Have played so long for just the personal pleasure of it...not to be sniffed at,,,but felt something was misses. I needed the piano to be more sociable and tok over playing the electric piano at church as part of the music group. Duetting with my children and accompanying at the local school for nativities and plays was intially nerve wracking but has given me the confidence to begin playing in small groups and am joining the jazz workshops this week.....just do it!
kateP
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Oohhhhh kate that is such a brave thing to do...well done. :D
I am hard pushed to even play when the family members are around. :oops:
I know the neighbours can hear me when I play 'cause they tell me they enjoy hearing my music, but I can't see them so it doesn't count. I know....I have my head in the sand there.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

I know the neighbours can hear me when I play 'cause they tell me they enjoy hearing my music, but I can't see them so it doesn't count. I know....I have my head in the sand there.
Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »

Geminoz
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Geminoz »