Wrestplank repair Bluthner upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sussexpianos
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Wrestplank repair Bluthner upright

Post by sussexpianos »

Anyone come across a repair where the wrestplank is routed out in sections and new pinboard is cut and glued in its place, thus not needing to remove the whole plank?
Got a Bluthner upright in with tuning trouble, customer spent a lot of money 7 years ago with a big firm. I thought it would be a re-pin but the sections are coming out. I think, other than replace the whole plank, use coach bolts and pull it back into place.
Comments from technicians please
A piano tuner is the "Unseen artist". www.sussexpianos.co.uk
Members of the PTA & I.M.I.T., MIA and Trading Standards Approved. C&G qualified and N&S Diploma. PTD(Precision Touch Design) Technician.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Wrestplank repair Bluthner upright

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I restored a Carl mand (re-strung etc) which had a '2 section' wrest plank; the bass was separate & slightly thicker/ deeper than the treble wrest plank, and joined together at a 45 degree cut at the break (just agraffes in the bass aswell) ..... but both wrest planks were fine so not needed a repair etc.

Not sure of the cast frame arrangement, but I would imagine it might be best to completely fill in & plug the coach bolt holes, then retap threads with a tap/die set.
I know someone who makes the tap & die sets - he did one for some key capstan grub screws a few years ago. Thats my only suggestion.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wrestplank repair Bluthner upright

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You will get away with on an upright would look ugly on a grand Novel way of doing it in the first place. I have routed caps off bridges but a plank

I would also use a lot of Epoxy as well at the back. I have filled all the holes on a Bechstein upright with Epoxy and re drilled them for 0/0, put 2/0 in. The pins are jumpy but it holds well, still tune it after about 20 years used Blue pins

Have fun its one of them jobs you never quote the right price for

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page