First piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

First piano

Post by OneHandOnly »

Hi all,
First post for a while, been learning for about a year on a crappy little keyboard, my teacher is preparing me for grade 2 and suggests i get a real piano sooner rather than later.Now the big question concerns money, i can scrape together 2 grand but that's the limit, apparently new kitchens are more important(the wife told me so).So can i get something worthwhile or do i have to soldier on and save for another year?
:piano;
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First piano

Post by Barrie Heaton »

2K will get you something decent look at the pianos for sale GP there is a Kemble Oxford on there for 1500 a U1 for £1800 but get a tuner to look at them

Or you have the pianos for sale by the trade there is an ex demo Gors and Kalmann on there, also further down there is a Yamaha MJ5 all well within your budget plus a lot of the dealers give 5 years Garr which is the same as a new one

All the above pianos are good buy for someone at your level but take a tuner with you

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by OneHandOnly »

Thanks for the speedy reply Barrie :D , my teacher will go with me to view anything i see, and his tuner as well,will look at your suggestions 8)
OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by OneHandOnly »

Well ,just an update.After a month of trawling piano showrooms and scouring second hand ads, i fell in love with a piano,upped my budget and bought a brand new Kawai K3 yesterday :D :D . Can't wait for it to be delivered next week...... now all i need is to learn to play the damned thing :lol:
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Nice 1...... a cracking piano!
I visited Kawai last year (photos on my aatuners website).... and very impressed with their level of work & expertise.
Hope the new kitchen hasn't suffered!!
Good luck with that, and your next piano grade.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
OneHandOnly
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by OneHandOnly »

Many thanks Colin,

There is no longer going to be a new kitchen!! I had to prioritise and the Kawai won the argument 8) . Some new tiles and a lick of paint and the rest of the money earmarked ,well, i've just spent it :piano;
As for the exam, should be grade 2 early in the new year( if nerves and stage fright don't put me off).
dancarney
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by dancarney »

Congrats!

I really like Kawai pianos, and as Colins says, their quality it top-notch.
Dan Carney BMus(Hons) DipABRSM

Junior Piano Technician
petefrederick

Post by petefrederick »

OneHandOnly wrote:Hi all,
First post for a while, been learning for about a year on a crappy little keyboard, my teacher is preparing me for grade 2 and suggests i get a real piano sooner rather than later.Now the big question concerns money, i can scrape together 2 grand but that's the limit, apparently new kitchens are more important(the wife told me so).So can i get something worthwhile or do i have to soldier on and save for another year?
Hi OneHandOnly, I purchased a Kawai a few years ago, and absolutely love it. I am sure you'll be happy with yours as well. Congratulations.
Pete