I have bought a house and been left a piano - please help

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

According to Pierce's Piano Atlas (shut up, Bill, it's the only one I have) that makes it pre 1885, so pretty elderly. However, Bluthner is a good make and some people will pay for the name alone. It very much depends upon the condition of the instrument; being as old as it is, you might be better advised to sell it to an antiques dealer (particularly if it has an attractive case) than a piano dealer. A piano dealer will only give you what he can make a profit on, and he would be expected to guarantee any instrument he sold. This being the case, you won't get much for it, I'm afraid. Your best bet would be to call in a local tuner for an unbiased valuation. The Piano Tuners Association have a website where you can find your nearest tuner, as do the Association of Blind Piano Tuners (this one!) or failing that, the Yellow Pages. Tell the tuner what you can over the telephone, and explain that you want a valuation - but if you intend to sell, a tuning will make it more appealing and the tuner will be able to get a better idea of the condition of the piano. Good luck! Gill x