New to Forum and happy to have found it.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mozart453
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New to Forum and happy to have found it.

Post by mozart453 »

I love piano forums because the instrument, its history, repertoire, etc are my passion. And when I stumbled upon the UK connection here, it tied in with my recent writing about the British Knight piano. I remember cruising over this way when doing some preliminary research on it a few years back. In any case, I blog about things piano at http://arioso7.wordpress.com and the short story about the Knight piano is located at: http://arioso7.wordpress.com/2010/12/16 ... ghtingale/
The spelling "Knightingale" is intentional. This particular piano had journeyed from Holland, surprisingly, to Fresno CA.. That's an oddity unto itself. The epic is quite a soap opera as pianos do become personified, taking their emotional toll on owners, especially when they choose to part with them.

My additional connection to the UK: I went to school with Murray Perahia (NYC HS of Performing Arts) and I realize he has lived in London for decades now, but we catch up with him when he comes to the US for concerts. After Performing Arts, I attended the Oberlin Conservatory and received my Master's from NYU.

Incidentally, my blog traverses so many areas related to the piano: Instruction, performance, teaching, and piano finding adventures with an 83 or so year old tuner, Connell York--There's lots more.. I will enjoy visiting with you and sharing.

Shirley Smith Kirsten
I see there are some posted performance links so I hope I can join in with some of my Scarlatti, a beloved composer.
PS I have a question about the Knight piano. The one I described measured 44 inches.. Now would that be technically categorized as studio upright variety.. or just a tad too small for that.
I guess I need to go back and see the measurement on the "console."
I own a Steinway M grand, 1917, overhauled three times (the best being by Dale Erwin, Modesto)
and a Steinway studio upright, 1098 (manuf. 1882)
mozart453
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Re: New to Forum and happy to have found it.

Post by mozart453 »

correction on my Steinway upright's year of manuf.. just a typo.. should be 1992
MarkGoodwinPianos
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: New to Forum and happy to have found it.

Post by MarkGoodwinPianos »

Hi there
The article is over 5000 words long.
I doubt anyone has the time to read that.

BUT.... I share your passion and I understand where you are coming from so a big welcome to the forum :D
Yamaha Pianos for sale (usually 50+ in stock)
email markgoodwinpianos@gmail.com with any Yamaha, Kawai, Bechstein or Steinway questions :)