Advice on Yamaha Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

steve b

Advice on Yamaha Piano

Post by steve b »

Currently I have a digial stage piano (P200) and am enjoying playing the piano so much I've decided it's time to get the real thing.

I am stuck between a Yamha C2 or a SU7. Cost is a limiting factor and 12k is about the limit.

Space is not an issue and the evironmentals are fine.

Does anybody have any views on comparing these two piano's.

Many Thanks
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Advice on Yamaha Piano

Post by Openwood »

You could get a good secondhand C3 for 12k.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

Just looking at the 'Pianos for sale by Shops' link (on the left of the screen) I noticed this used C3:

http://www.uk-piano.org/pianos-for-sale ... iteid=2866

Now, there may be all sorts of reasons not to get that particular piano, but you see what I mean. Having played several examples of both, I'd say there's a BIG difference in sound between a C2 and a C3 - if you can find a good C3 within your budget it will be a sound investment in every sense. You may even find a new C3 for 12k but be warned; I'd be highly sceptical as to the quality of preparation and after-sales care you might get from a dealer who would be prepared to go that low, Whatever their advertising might claim (even on reputable piano forums :wink: )
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

if size is not a problem then I would go with Openwood look at second hand 12 k would get you a bigger piano. there are those out there who are desperate to get rid of there pianos as they need the cash

don't look on its as you are benefiting form someone else's misfortune You are helping them get out of a sticky patch and they will be more happy that the piano is going to a good home than a dealer that is going to make money off their backs.

There are also some good deals to be had from retailers some are having a hard time but others are not some are saying that they have had there best Jan for years and have sold over 30 new pianos others have sold nowt

That one was marked sold BTW

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

I would have thought that for 12k you could expand the range of instruments you are looking at quite considerably.... play lots of all sorts would be my advice rather than deciding from the outset that it has to be one of two Yamaha models. They are nice pianos for sure, but there are lots of others at that price point, particularly secondhand that may interest you more...

Happy hunting and hope you let us know what you decide!
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

play lots of all sorts would be my advice rather than deciding from the outset that it has to be one of two Yamaha models.
Yes, absolutely - very good point genaa!
chrisvenables
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisvenables »

As you have no space limitation, definitely the C2. Make sure it's a C2M (only launched last year) The new C2M has plenty of refinement over the older C2L model, such as ivorite keys, wood composite sharps and improved treble bridge resulting in an even better dynamic range a sustain. Although the SU7 action is as smooth as silk, the repetition on a Yamaha grand is even better, the una chorda (soft) pedal gives you a tonal change (which you don't get on the SU7) as well as sounding softer, duplex scaling, a much more functional multi positional music desk rather than just a small tray, the sound can be varied so much more by way of it escaping from underneath and above the piano, plus the option of having the top lid closed, semi open, or three prop positions. And it looks beautiful! There may be a recession on, but even so,Yamaha shocked their dealers by bringing forward from 1st March to yesterday a price increase on ALL models, varying from 5% to 25% and they will be having yet another review at the end of March. If you're looking to buy a new model, which I would strongly suggest, see if your local dealer has one he bought at the old price and is prepared to sell pre increase price. (Assuming you like the way it's prep'd.)
Yamaha Piano Main Dealer since 1981. www.chrisvenables.co.uk
steve b

Post by steve b »

Thanks for your all your advice. I've now tried the C2 and the C3. I'm afaid I'm not that impressed with the C2 so it's going to have to be a C3 or C5 if I can ever afford one. I'm currently having an extension built so can't get the piano until that completed in early summer. The prices just keep going up which is very depressing. Before Christmas I could have got a new C3 for just over 12k. When I recently looked again they were up to 14.5K and god knows what they will be by the time I am ready to purchase in july.