Pin block for pleyel grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Gil Yarrington

Pin block for pleyel grand

Post by Gil Yarrington »

Hello my name is Gilbert (Gil) Yarrington. First time on the forum. I have been in the trade for 54 years and have on some occasions had to fit new pin blocks to grand pianos. I have a Pleyel 1907 grand that needs a new pin block. The problem is that the pin block is integrated in the side of the piano all the previous ones have just been bolted to the frame. How do I go about this? Is it possible? Would some kind person explain the way to go about this. I await any replies with much gratitude and interest.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pin block for pleyel grand

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Not done a Pleyel pinblok you may get a more detailed response on the Facebook Group international piano technicians by one of the Tuners who have done the Pleyel pinblok it will be the same way as doing a Steinway pinblock

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gil Yarrington

Post by Gil Yarrington »

Thanks BArrie. Will follow your advice. Have a great Christmas. Gilbert (France).
Phiphi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Phiphi »

Erard grands have also integrated pin blocks which are tricky to replace. Philippe Jolly, piano restorer in Paris, has designed a process to replace Erards' pin blocks. If you wish, I can get you in touch with him. He can speak English and is keen to give advice, especially if the distance doesn't make you a dangerous competitor. :mrgreen:
Gil Yarrington

Post by Gil Yarrington »

Hi Phi Phi, many many thanks for your post. Would be over the moon to be put in touch with philipe as I am struggling with this one.
May I at this point wish you a happy new year and much success.it goes to show that although I am nearly 70 I am still learning a lot.best regards Gilbert.
Phiphi
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Phiphi »

I sent you a message.
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

As I see it you have but two choices, either drill down vertically above the plank ends on both Bass and Treble cheeks, chisel out then replace with a panel, [Bluthner grands have a screw on section above the plank fixing bolts] OR after the frame is removed, cut the ends flush with the cheeks, and chisel out the ends, there's probably going to encounter a bolt or two that you're going to have to hacksaw off in a VERY confined space with just the hacksaw blade or angle grinder though. When you craft the new plank, you will have to make it slightly shorter then slide it sideways, I've done it both ways, but the former is less work if you can make a nice panel to fit into the cheek when you're done. :D
David Hamilton Smith