Knight K10 Serial no 2214

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

lawwi79

Knight K10 Serial no 2214

Post by lawwi79 »

Hi there,
I am looking for a low priced used piano and I came across the piano above. I haven't seen the piano, but I have researched the best used pianos and the Knight brand is one I understand is a safe bet due to it's extremely solid construction. The man selling it deals and restores 2nd hand pianos and was very enthusiastic to tell me about it and all of the other pianos he had. He gave me a few demos over the phone which was great as he's a jazz pianist! Anyway, my question is, is a 1939 K10 serial no 2214 too old? He has offered me a good deal (I think!) at £425 incl delivery. It's in good condition (see pics) and he told me it looks like it was refurbished in the last 10 to 20 years. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Many thanks.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Knight K10 Serial no 2214

Post by joseph »

Hello,

knights are good, solid well-built pianos, that much is true. However, this piano is nearly 80 years old, you don't know it's history and you don't know what condition it is in , really.

If you want to buy it, take a technician along, get her or him to test the pins etc, all that stuff, and pay for a report. I don't know how much it will cost, probably fifty to seventy quid, but it's worthwhile if that's the piano you're set on.

It seems like a good price, perhaps, from a dealer, but I just don't know. Also, refurbished means many things to many people, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt. What a concert hall technician does on a piano as a routine operation, some people would call refurbishing, but I'd call it servicing. At that price, I don't think anything major could have been done to it.

I'm not saying it's a rubbish piano, it may well fit your bill. I'm just saying, beware before you part with your cash. It could be ideal, or it could be a turkey.
vernon

Re: Knight K10 Serial no 2214

Post by vernon »

Obvious good advice. Pay a technician to look at it.
If it's got good tight pins, is not too worn, an old K10 @ £425 should play on for years.
BUT, get someone knowledgable to look at it.It won't be perfect but could be perfectly serviceable without frills. Paying £70 or so for expert advice could save you the xpense of scrapping it.
How many times have we had customers say " we only paid £100 for it but turned out to be useless."
Do that a couple of times and you may as well have gone to reputable dealer with a guarantee and paid a bit more
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk