Grotian-Steiweg Upright - opinions please

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Grotian-Steiweg Upright - opinions please

Post by David B »

I have a flat in Italy, and rather than bring a piano out from the UK, I have been looking at what's for sale here locally (I'm in the mezzo-giorno).

As a general point, you might be interested to hear that they regard what we in England would call clapped out firewood as beauitful antique pianos from the "epoca" of the late nineteenth century and can ask thousands for them (whether they get it or not I do not know, but I did go into a piano showroom and a clapped out old german baby grand - not a name I knew - from circa 1880 took pride of place in the showroom. I am told that the locals will have these things as much for the looks as anything). So maybe there's an opportunity there for a man with a van :roll:

Anyway, I digress. I have seen advertised, and though I haven't seen it yet it looks pretty good in the pictures, a Grotian Steinweg upright, Model 122, purchased in 1987, with a serial number that would indicate that it was new at the time. It's in gloss ebony. I reckon the price will be around £2,000 (as everything is "negotiable" here).

Worth the 1 1/2 hour drive to see it?
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: Grotian-Steiweg Upright - opinions please

Post by joseph »

I would say that's worth the investigation. Go for the drive, play the piano and report back!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

first I would look for wood worm then ask who tuned it last give them a call see if any any major problems

For WW look at the bottom of the back of the piano then under the keybed if you can take a key out

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Grotian-Steinweg Upright - opinions please

Post by David B »

Ok, took the plunge and hit the motorway to see this piano. Never driven on an Italian motorway before, but I have to say it was a dream :D

Anyway, said piano had been bought by Guiseppe's parents, for his sisters (3 of), and now he was moving house the piano was in a sister's garage, where it has been for 3 months. Well the garage was at the bottom of a new block of flats, nice and clean and dry, but still a garage and the tuning was shot, so not easy to make a real judgement.

The sisters had obviously got their money's worth out of it; the hammers were quite grooved for a piano of that age, there we a few knocks to the (black) poly finish in the usual places, though the strings seemed ok, with only the lightest evidence of rust. Didn't take it to bits but could see the keybed and no sign of woodworm.

The tone for an upright was pretty good, though difficult when the treble was out of tune. I'm more concerned about the action, whether it just needs a good regulation, or the felting is worn from use.

If I'd bought it cheap, a sight unseen from eBay, i'd be happy, but at an asking price of 3000 Euro, I'm not sure whether to walk away, or point out all the issues and beat them down (normal practice here).

There's also a Kawai CX-5H locally that they are asking 1200 euro for, which I might go and see tomorrow.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I would be more concerned about the tuning/ string condition/ wrest plank/ tuning pin torque/ pitch rather than the action. Most actions parts can easily be changed or renewed, but if there are problems with the overall tuning stability, then you are stuck with it. There shouldn't be any rust whatsoever - not for that price!

If the temperature drops at night, and we see wet grass on the lawn, then that spells damp - and I would check out the action & keys more thoroughly. A piano tuner would go through it with a fine tooth pick/ remove the action/ check behind for insect or cloth/felt damage deep inside. I would be careful with this one - it might be OK, but if a piano is worth £2K, why is it stored in a garage?

So.... instead of the Ferrari performance you expected, it could end up being your dream Fiat Strada!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

OK, maybe I over egged the pudding on the tuning! It was out of tune in the way that I would expect from having been moved; i.e. bi and tri chords not in tune with themselves, rather than the whole thing being way out. I was listening for overall tone quality, which is difficult if the piano is not in tune.... many years ago I had a (blind) tuner come to me in London, and said, when I told him that the piano was out of tune "you have a very good ear, if you know that"

As for damp - are you kidding? It's well in the 30's C here, the only damp that one gets here is persperation! The point about the garage is that its not obviously at the same ambient temperature that it would be if is was indoors.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

be careful though, because although it's in the 30s, it's often very very humid in parts of Italy. A dampp chaser system may not be a bad idea! :D
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Absolutely! your are peaching to the converted there! but that is not different if it's hot/cold, dry/humid...its the least that one can do for one's girl friend :P
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

ok, update. I said that i would take the risk "as is" and pay 1,500 euro, or I want a professional (technical) report. he's gone off to lick his wounds (or consult with the family as he puts it) -further updates as the come...

....i think with a good tech though it will be a damned good piano
David B
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by David B »

Ha, silence still from Pepe :shock: The family are probably still in shock that the piano papa bought 25 years ago isn't worth what they paid for it, or what that dealer in Milano that they found on the internet is asking :?

There is a big piano showroom in Pescara - the stock must be worth 7 figures (at least 4 concert grands, and probably 3 dozen pianos all together- all high quality) , and I could probably get a new Yamaha B1 there for 3000 delivered and tuned and voiced and after service and......

...... techs/piano dealers do your worst 8)
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

There's a good shop in Milan called Furcht. Of course, you are not really near Milan in Pescara. I hope you find yourself a nice piano soon. The Grotrian sounded almost too good to be true. But there may still be a chance! :piano;