Pabst piano from Heins & Co.

Ask questions on piano history and the age of your piano.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Bill Kibby

richardb13

Pabst piano from Heins & Co.

Post by richardb13 »

Hi All

We have an old piano we really like but know nothing about - can you help?

It was manufactured by Heins & Co est 1830, (Hereford, Ross, Brecon, Abergavenny, Leominster).

It's a Louis Pabst & Co patented stronghold iron frame - upright piano. Mahogany with parquetry. With funky candlearbras (sp?).

We're interested in any history - and if it's worth anything I suppose. We may be moving house soon and are weighing up whether to take it with us. Any help appreciated.
Bill Kibby

Re: Heins & Co est 1830

Post by Bill Kibby »

If you mean Louis Pavst, he is thought to have been a piano teacher in Australia, although I don't understand why his name is on pianos! Mrs Hancock has one of these in Wales. Heins was in Abergavenny by 1886, and after the Second world War the firm became Heins & Allen. They were in business a long time, and the piano name doesn't tell me anything at all about the piano.

Have a look at pianohistory.info
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
richardb13

Post by richardb13 »

Hi Bill, Thanks for responding. It's definitely Pabst not Pavst? Here's a photo. I've tried researching more on google etc but haven't managed to find any info at all. Shame as we'd really like to establish at least some of the history.

If anything else springs to mind please let me know. Many thanks.
Attachments
picture very closeup.jpg
richardb13

Post by richardb13 »

Here's another photo to show the whole piano. Do you have any idea when it would have been made? I think it's lovely.
Attachments
piano.jpg
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I think you may find that this piano was manufactured by Louis Pabst & Co, not Heins. Most decal names in large 'bold' and in fancy lettering (of the period) - stencilled onto the fallboard are the maker's name. Smaller prints/ labels with black back grounds - especially on the key slip rail (where the red felt is) is usually the retailer's name - hence he had piano shops/branches in the places mentioned; Hereford, Ross ..... etc.

There was a company called Pabst & Schneider of Germany in the early 1900's, and your piano looks of German desent with the carved columns continuing onto the cheeks, then the folding away legs under the piano - typical German.

If you like the piano, take it with you - but the sconces (candlesticks) may be worth more than the piano.......

other signs to look for in German pianos are in the mechanism, such as mauve/purple/ blue check felt and. 'ogee' shaped back checks (as opposed to square), and various idiomatic things us piano people notice inside mechanisms - why not take the front off & send us a photo. Bill may be able to throw some light on the makers name & date it more accurately - I reckon very early 1900's - possibly sooner.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Bill Kibby

Pabst

Post by Bill Kibby »

They are not "carved columns continuing onto the cheeks" they are TRUSSES, which were mainly used from the 1880s to the 1920s, typically London or British. Many such pianos pre-1914 had cheap actions imported from Germany, that does not necessarily make the piano German. However, most London pianos did not have metal pedals like this then. I'd guess this one is about a hundred years old. Pabst certainly appears as if he were the maker, but that doesn't always mean much. I have checked our London lists, there is no sign of a British Pabst, or a Louis Pabst, but many other lists depend on knowing the town. Have a look at pianohistory.info
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Pianomate
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Pabst piano from Heins & Co.

Post by Pianomate »

Note the art deco motif borders around the panels of the top board. The case however suggests a bit of Arts and Crafts style with German gothic ornamentation. This would suggest early 1900s.
richardb13

Re: Pabst piano from Heins & Co.

Post by richardb13 »

Thanks for all your time and comments. Very interesting - wish I had more time to research it fully.

I've had to concede that we can't take it with us. We're moving somewhere with significantly less space and it just won't fit (no matter how much I'd like it to).

Please wish me luck for finding a good home!